Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Feature: SMS Control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is an alpha feature in initial development.

Basically, this allows you to register your cell phone with your account and then send text messages to us to control settings like DND, forwarding, failover, etc. The concept is that if you're out and about and want to forward your calls as an example, one quick text message would take care of it.

Some things planned:

- Adding more security

- Adding e-mail/sms confirmations of all actions

- Adding an option to include a PIN number in the command

Testing SMS Number: 95495

Commands Available Now:

VOIPO1 FWD NUMBER (Enable Forwarding to a Number)
    VOIPO1 FWD OFF (Disable Forwarding)
    VOIPO1 FWD ME (Forward to Your Cell)

VOIPO1 DND BUSY (Enable DND - Busy)
    VOIPO1 DND VOICEMAIL (Enable DND - Voicemail)
    VOIPO1 DND OFF - (Disable DND)

VOIPO1 FAIL VOICEMAIL (Set Failover to Voicemail)
    VOIPO1 FAIL NUMBER (Set Failover to Number)

For the early testing, you need to prepend VOIP1 to all commands. When this is rolled out to the public, you'll be able to text the commands directly to VOIPO (86476) without the need to prepend.

If you are logged into vPanel, you can access https://secure.voipo.com/features/sms to add your cell number so it'll match up your account.

Let us know if you have any issues with this. We'd also like to get some feedback as to how useful everyone feels this will be, how you'd like to see it work, and what commands you'd find useful.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 01-20-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Alpha Feature: SMS Control

This is a great idea!

The only question I have is.....

If you have multiple numbers, then how can you specify which one you are changing? It seems you could only specify one. Of coarse this would only apply to about 1% of us...

I Void Warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post

Basically, this allows you to register your cell phone with your account and then send text messages to us to control settings like DND, forwarding, failover, etc. The concept is that if you're out and about and want to forward your calls as an example, one quick text message would take care of it.
    Why not just use short numeric codes or even the same *nn codes and save the text message cost. It is cheaper to me to spend voice time than SMS time (AT&T) ;( You could have voice confirmation of the requested action.

Quote Originally Posted by gbh2o View Post
    Why not just use short numeric codes or even the same *nn codes and save the text message cost. It is cheaper to me to spend voice time than SMS time (AT&T) ;( You could have voice confirmation of the requested action.
    This is a good point especially for the aged cell phone users.

I have texting disabled on mine and my wife's phones, since we were getting mostly spam and paying for the messaging.

Voice would be a great communicator, but I understand that texting seems to be the way of cellular and the way of the world.

I imagine SMS scales better than a voice line?

* codes on SMS will help those that use it remember one list.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I agree with the comments regarding the desire for a voice interface to issue these commands remotely. (Shouldn't come as a surprise--I've been vocally requesting that feature for years--not just with voipo.) While this is a good intermediate step for most cell phone users, it does have significant limitations in comparison with a remote voice interface:
    1. It can only be used from SMS-capable devices (e.g. not your friend's POTS phone).
    2. For most customers, each SMS costs $0.20 or so--I, for one, will not purchase a $5/mo SMS package from my provider, because I don't use 25 msgs/mo yet. When the packages are included in most mobile plan prices, (I'm not holding my breath) it will be more useful.

That said, don't drop the feature. Also, may I suggest a callback bridge feature? command: CALLBACK [NUMBER]. This command will cause voipo to call the registered mobile phone (or specified number) and provide a dialtone to the answering party. The call made by the callback target party is charged against the voipo account. The main selling points of this feature would be the person who has a direct DID at their desk but is not allowed long distance outbound calls, or the mobile phone user who wants to place an international call at a more reasonable rate than that charged by their mobile provider...

Quote Originally Posted by gbh2o View Post
    As a follow-up...
    The other SIMPLE option could be to have different call-in numbers for different functions. By that, I mean one number by which to set and/or change failover, another number by which to set and/or change forwarding. That would require a bit of users setting up their phone to have the numbers in their address book to accomplish tasks for which they feel they may have use. DIDs are cheap! And, the system wouldn't even be restricted to cell phones.

Best would be to call your own number, so easy anyone will know it !!!
    Then choose from
    Press 1 to leave message, press 2 to control your options, press 3 to retrieve voicemail etc

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post

If you are logged into vPanel, you can access https://secure.voipo.com/sms to add your cell number so it'll match up your account.

Let us know if you have any issues with this. We'd also like to get some feedback as to how useful everyone feels this will be, how you'd like to see it work, and what commands you'd find useful.
    I tried to access it in VPANEL and it told me I was nt authorized to view that page.
    Has it been pushed out to all accounts yet? I re-booted by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post
    I tried to access it in VPANEL and it told me I was nt authorized to view that page.
    Has it been pushed out to all accounts yet? I re-booted by the way.
    You have to already be logged into vPanel. It's kind of a backdoor to it right now while in testing.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook