Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VOIPo Connect is Coming

Default Re: VOIPo Connect is Coming

That is a great idea Tim. You guys rock. This feature will def be handy for things of that nature. As a craigslister myself, I can see how this would be a lot better, than giving some potential tweaker my number. Thanks again.

Tim,

You had to know I'd ask about this, especially given MY post on BBR...

[Here's the thread for those curious: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r218...oking-at-VoIPO ]

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Dial-In Access Numbers in All Major US/Canadian Cities
    Given the purpose of this service, I presume these dial-in numbers will be well-publicized, right? At a minimum, I presume you'll post a list of them on your website or in a public access forum here. (What you'd do in addition to that minimum, I'm not sure. )

I'd like to add another suggestion for this aspect of the service - a toll-free access number. Voipo users would be able to set up 'chargeback codes' with similar connect and expiration capabilities so that anyone could call the tollfree number to connect with a voipo user. For these calls, a per-minute charge, similar to that of the Express offering, would apply. A separate tollfree number would be used for calls from Canada. Voipo customers could control their accounts from these tollfree numbers, as well--once they log in to access their features, you'd know who to bill for the call. This one would probably give your developers a pretty good headache regarding the billing, but it would be great for those lame areas of the country that have very limited local calling areas.

Anyone will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Enter a VOIPo phone number (any number on our network including virtual) to connect to a VOIPo user

2) Enter a PIN number to connect to a VOIPo user
    How will the system know the difference between a PIN and a phone#? Less than 10 digits?

3) Enter a Secure Virtual Number (working on the name for this) to connect to a VOIPo user
    Name ideas:
    • Disposable number
    • Proxy Number <-- I like this one
    • Shadow Number
    • Cover Number
    • Disguise Number
    • Masquerade Number <-- Am I getting carried away, or do you like it?
    • Veil Number

VOIPo Residential Freedom will be able to call in and do the following:

1) Manage most features like forwarding, etc

2) Dial out via their VOIPo account (mainly meant for international)
    This feature is also very useful for the person who may need to make a LD call but is not able to do so easily. Such circumstances include, for example, courtesy phone at a gym, hospital, or other establishment, work phone, etc.
    3) Access voicemail

What's a PIN Number?

Users will be able to setup 3-9 digit PIN numbers that they can give to people to call them on via the access number instead of giving someone their real phone number. These PIN numbers can be set to expire based on the number of calls or time.
    A few questions:
    • Will users be able to set up an unlimited number of PINs that can be 3 - 9 digits in length, or will users be limited to three PINs, all of which are 9 digits in length?
    • Say I decide to use 123456789 as my PIN, along with about 1/3 of your other users. Will the system allow multiple different lines to use the same PIN? If so, how will it know which VOIPo user to connect with?
    • Once your PIN expires, how long until it can be re-used, or used by a different user (if PINs can't overlap)? You may have a problem with 'wrong numbers' here for that reason.

So as an example, you could create a PIN that works for the next 3 days only or that works for the next 2 calls only and give it to someone you're selling something to on Craigslist.

What's a Secure Virtual Number?

This is a virtual number that just like a PIN number can expire based on usage or time automatically. They'll be available for a small one-time fee (likely $0.99). They can be called directly as well as from the access numbers.

Again this is the prototype that's up now, but we're still tweaking it so it may change.

I don't like to announce things until they're done and fully tested, but we're pretty excited about this one.

It's one of a handful of the stuff in the pipeline right now. We just like to test things to make sure they're relatively bug-free before releasing into beta.
    --
    Questions for the 'secure virtual number' (SVN):
    • How long can a user 'tie up' a SVN? Could I just create one and set it for 999 uses and have a virtual number for a one-time $0.99 charge instead of $5/mo? (Not that I would do anything like that...
    • Say I get a SVN and use it up. How long before it becomes available for another user? You can expect quite a few 'wrong number' calls to these numbers as people call based on out-dated posts, address books, or whatever.
    • Do these numbers come out of a different inventory than your regular numbers, or will there be a 'pool' of numbers specified for SVN use?

Don't get me wrong--I love these ideas. I'm just hoping to think of the exploits/pitfalls before they go live so you don't have to take them back away...

I think this was largely skipped over on DSLR since it was in with another thread I'm surprised at the lack of comments over there...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think this was largely skipped over on DSLR since it was in with another thread I'm surprised at the lack of comments over there...
    I'm similarly surprised that there hasn't been more comment here. The benefit of the silence now, though, is that when it does launch, the noise will be louder.

Any timeframe updates on rollout of VoIPo Connect?

It's basically done, but just needs a few finishing touches before it's ready for testing.

It's been kind of backburnered recently while we worked through the issues with the core service.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by dtrose View Post
    Any timeframe updates on rollout of VoIPo Connect?
    Tim's been known to surprise us, but given the issues of late, I'd give it at least a month. Were I in his shoes, I'd take any feature addition pretty slowly at this point to be sure that what's currently in place has stabilized (meaning, the 'fixes' that have been applied have actually fixed the problem without breaking anything else). Even if I were certain all was good (not sure how one could be until more days pass without 'no-registration' tickets coming in), I'd roll Connect out as a Beta feature and have it field tested before launching it.

As I said above, though, Tim's been known to surprise us. He also knows a lot more than I do about the patches that have been applied of late and their effects on voipo's systems.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Well for me, this will be a long awaited feature bundle that I am looking forward to. Especially since I had to get rid of my CallVantage line since my former employer was too frugal to pay for it.

Any progress on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Any progress on this?
    It's basically been on the backburner due to the registration issues. Once we revive it, it'll come together pretty quick.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook