Thread: 10/6 - Short Morning Outage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 10/6 - Short Morning Outage

There was a database issue (related to load) this morning on one of our primary nodes.

This has been resolved which means all services should be fully functional at this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will post additional details later in the day.

Your device should have reconnected automatically. If it did not, reboot it to force it to do so now.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: 10/6 - Short Morning Outage

Thanks for keep us in the loop and for the quick resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Your device should have reconnected automatically.
    If it did not, reboot it to force it to do so now.
    FWIW:

Just checked and my 502 was not registered.

Did the "***", "99", "9" to reboot, and its showing in vPanel again.
    (Device directly behind the modem, and has been good all week.)

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Working fine here in NYC..

My asterisk logs indicate a 2 hour outage between 5.30 AM and 7.30 AM PST. Not a short outage.

This is the second database issue that has happened in a short period of time. What steps are being taken to prevent this ?

There was a database issue (related to load) this morning on one of our primary nodes.

This has been resolved which means all services should be fully functional at this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will post additional details later in the day.

Your device should have reconnected automatically. If it did not, reboot it to force it to do so now.
    Tim -

My device did not re register on its own and required a powercycle. In order to figure this out I needed to place a call into a support to find out why I had the number is not in service message. Couple of problems with this - my number had a not in service message on it for the majority of the morning and the fail over did not kick in. I understand that there are going to be times when the service goes down, but it is my understanding that the failover should kick in and prevent any type of disconnect message or busy signal (in my case my failover is the voicemail system). Getting a "this number is no longer in service" message is not something that should ever go out.

Wondering why this message was sent out to callers? I understand that my device might have lost registration, but even without a powercycle it should still be active in VoIPo's servers just without a IP to send the calls to.

Also is it possible to implement some type of warning to users outside of the forums or users noticing there are problems? i.e. send a text message when a device loses registration or there is some type of outage? I am guessing that most people did not know there was a problem if they did not need to make a outbound call out this morning until someone called them on their cell phone and let them know. Something proactive like this should not only improve customer satisfaction but also lesson the load on your internal support personal which will free up internal resources when problems arise to fix them instead of deal with incoming customer calls/tickets. Something like this should have multiple ways of getting to customers with their choice of how to receive them - email, text message, forum posting - just making sure people can choose.

I think what a lot of us are wanting to know is if anything is planned or being discussed to make sure fail over numbers always work. Can you share anything with us on it Tim?

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    I think what a lot of us are wanting to know is if anything is planned or being discussed to make sure fail over numbers always work. Can you share anything with us on it Tim?
    I'll post more info a little later this weekend. Need to get it all organized into a post.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I'll post more info a little later this weekend. Need to get it all organized into a post.
    Tim -

Just read through your posting on the issues - thank you for the update and taking ownership of the issues. To few companies do that now a days and instead like to blame others.

The two questions I asked were not addressed in that posting and I am wondering if you would be able to talk specifically to the "number is no longer in service" message and some type of notification system to those that are not at home or on the internet to noitce their service is down?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Tim -

Just read through your posting on the issues - thank you for the update and taking ownership of the issues. To few companies do that now a days and instead like to blame others.

The two questions I asked were not addressed in that posting and I am wondering if you would be able to talk specifically to the "number is no longer in service" message and some type of notification system to those that are not at home or on the internet to noitce their service is down?

Thanks
    Ya I just posted in another thread about it and put in a ticket to make sure they are aware but this morning at 6:30AM 2-7-09 my wife tried calling and it told her our line was disconnected and did not go to fail over.

I would also like to know if this issue is only affecting the Grandstream users or do the people with the other device have the issue too? The um PAP2? I just saved enough in one month (since dropping all my features on my pots line) that if I would have less issues with the PAP2 I may just have to invest in one and let VOIPo provision it.