Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call Log Planning

Default Re: Call Log Planning

For comparison, CallVantage deletes records after 60 days. With my calls generally domestic, I don't really mind. However, for billable calls, I'd really like them to stick around for longer than that. 6 months sounds good to me.

Personally, I would find 30 to 45 days to be more than adequate, especially if there is something in place to download them. Just my opinion of course.

VOIPo should add an option to download the call logs. This would be a very useful option for clients who wants to keep copies of their calls on their own desktops.

In addition to a download option, how about an option to automatically send Call History via email each month? That way, if folks forget to download it before it gets removed from the server, they'll still have a copy in their inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    In addition to a download option, how about an option to automatically send Call History via email each month? That way, if folks forget to download it before it gets removed from the server, they'll still have a copy in their inbox.
    Thats not a bad idea, but its a lot of overhead and management for voipo..I think a better option might be an e-mail reminder to subscribers that that retention period of certain call logs is about to expire. Leave the additional management to the individual subscriber potentially utilizing the download option that you mention

Quote Originally Posted by kevm View Post
    Thats not a bad idea, but its a lot of overhead and management for voipo..I think a better option might be an e-mail reminder to subscribers that that retention period of certain call logs is about to expire. Leave the additional management to the individual subscriber potentially utilizing the download option that you mention
    You are correct...We sure do get spoiled.

How about this - call logs are visible for the current month only, and the previous month is archived in an excel file. On the first of every month, the current logs are archived to file, and the previous archived file is deleted. "Email archived file" on the 1st of the month could be an option, if it's important to a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    How about this - call logs are visible for the current month only, and the previous month is archived in an excel file. On the first of every month, the current logs are archived to file, and the previous archived file is deleted. "Email archived file" on the 1st of the month could be an option, if it's important to a customer.
    Not everyone has/uses Excel. I'd opt for a PDF file, or perhas a CSV text file that can be imported into Excel or wherever.

I like the email option. I'm likely to forget to download, even with the reminders. If VOIPo goes through the trouble of setting up & sending out reminders, how hard can it be to attach the last month's call history as well? Heck, I used to get that much via paper mail with POTS. Yah, it's not absolutely necessary, but it's little extras like this that make a service stand out from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Not everyone has/uses Excel. I'd opt for a PDF file, or perhas a CSV text file that can be imported into Excel or wherever.

I like the email option. I'm likely to forget to download, even with the reminders. If VOIPo goes through the trouble of setting up & sending out reminders, how hard can it be to attach the last month's call history as well? Heck, I used to get that much via paper mail with POTS. Yah, it's not absolutely necessary, but it's little extras like this that make a service stand out from the rest.
    open office and its free http://www.openoffice.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    open office and its free http://www.openoffice.org/
    Understood, but not everyone uses Open Office, nor wants to install it just to read call history. A simpler format (PDF, CSV, HTML) would be more convenient, IMO.