Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Outage - 1AM Central

Default Re: Outage - 1AM Central

Quote Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
    The HT502 did not show any significant problems until a firmware update a few weeks back, that's when the dodo hit the fan.
    That's when my fun started as well. I was running behind a router with no ports forwarded and VOIPo had STUN enabled for me. As of Tuesday night, based on a post from Tim over on BBR, regarding problems with Symetric NAT routers, STUN and the HT502, I had VOIPo disable STUN and then forwarded their suggested ports. I've been solid since. I'm going to keep the ports forwarded for a week or so and see if the HT502 keeps its registration. If it does, I plan on disabling the port forwarding just to see if it makes any difference or not.

I think you are on to something with the GS 502 device behind the router. Every other Voip provider I have used wanted me to enable specific port forwarding. STUN methods *should* work -- perhaps the other providers know something and why they don't use that method.

-bird

Quote Originally Posted by 1bird2 View Post
    I think you are on to something with the GS 502 device behind the router. Every other Voip provider I have used wanted me to enable specific port forwarding. STUN methods *should* work -- perhaps the other providers know something and why they don't use that method.

-bird
    I wish it were that easy, but we've tried that with quite a few users and it doesn't solve it for all unfortunately.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Tim,

I disabled the router mode and DHCP on my HT502 (to save unnecessary processing and possibly some seg faults) and I have not lost registration for two days. Not sure if my changes had any effect or not. But its worth a try.

Mine is not used as a router either. (I have a great router after the HT502.)

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220...stration-daily

Turns out I am not the only one that thinks this thing is too hot. Other interesting news there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    As for other providers using Grandstream from reading past posts VOIPo used another Grandsteam device and it worked fine. Just because other providers use Grandstream devices does not mean they use a 502. It also does not mean they are configured the same by Grandstream.
    PhonePower currently ships Grandstream HT502. http://support.phonepower.com/Home/t...e/Default.aspx . I’m not advertising or anything. Just for information purpose. They are shipping it for quite long time as I read on forums. And they don’t have frequent disconnection issues. Too much depends on how the whole structure of a VOIP company is organized, and not just a user’s hardware. The fact that another company is using HT502s with no problems is a very important argument here.

My understanding from Tim's replies is that the 502 was selected for 2 main reasons. First it has a built in router (which I have tested and must say I do not recommend anyone use it as a router). Second it makes more business since because Grandstream configures all the ATA's for them.
    There was a post somewhere on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip which says that VOIPo chose HT502 because they got many on them (thousands) left from another company that Timothy was running, and it was a good deal since they got them either for free or very cheap. As I recall, that post was made by Timothy. Sorry for not providing a link. I know it sounds like if I was spreading rumors or something… If anyone had encountered that post, please, give us a link.

I agree with you. However as I have already pointed out the problem is a Grandstream firmware or hardware issue. If it were a VOIPo issue all of the BYOD folks and the others who have the Linksys would have a issue. I have another 502 that was sent to me and that thing was dead out of the box.
    Some PAP2T users lost registration anyway. http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1226&page=2 (post from wagnerb ).

VOIPo offered me to switch to PAP2T but I refused because in this case I would need to spend extra $40 for a router, which I normally don’t need. And I would spend some time to configure all that. They refused to pay for a router that I would buy. You just sign up knowing that you will get a free adapter, but soon realize that you must spend extra money for a router if you want to make your phone line finally work. This is somewhat ridiculous. All I’m saying is that this is not the way business should run. I’m still giving then a chance to fix the problem with 502s.

I did not say they gave a cash credit. What they did do and Tim can confirm this for you is extend your paid period for the time without service.
    It took me 2 days of communication and 8 ticket replies total to get the 14 days credit. I was repeatedly told that this is against company’s policy. Even after rebate was issued, Tim wrote:
    “We do not provide any SLA or uptime guarantee for residential service and the service is provided on an as-is basis. Please refer to the TOS if you have additional questions about this policy.”

I’m saying that some promises on forum is one thing but real life examples is different.

Oh, and never has the service ever been down for more than a few hours. How long it takes to resolve it usually depends on how long it takes you to check your email and unplug the ATA.
    Yes. But if registration is lost when my wife is home and I’m at work, I simply can’t call through. She doesn’t have a cell (she doesn’t really need one). She doesn’t go online too often, and there’s no way for me to reset that damn adapter or call her any other way. When she doesn’t receive calls because she thinks no one calls, that’s all. So, in my case the outage is for a whole day! Now, I guess, she has to sit next to the adapter and reset it every 5 minutes.

Because I predict another outage within next 1-2 weeks. We’ll see.

While there’s some criticism in my post here, I still hope VOIPo will not delete it. After all, I wish them do best and I’m still the customer.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    Yes. But if registration is lost when my wife is home and I’m at work, I simply can’t call through. She doesn’t have a cell (she doesn’t really need one). She doesn’t go online too often, and there’s no way for me to reset that damn adapter or call her any other way. When she doesn’t receive calls because she thinks no one calls, that’s all. So, in my case the outage is for a whole day! Now, I guess, she has to sit next to the adapter and reset it every 5 minutes.
    I think you need to get your wife a 9.99 family share phone in case of an emergency.

There was a post somewhere on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip which says that VOIPo chose HT502 because they got many on them (thousands) left from another company that Timothy was running, and it was a good deal since they got them either for free or very cheap.
    Odd, I do not recall such a thing being stated. Could these be confused with the Zoom ATAs we initially beta tested here?

VOIPo didn't even ask for the Zoom ATA back.
    Its collecting dust here.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    Odd, I do not recall such a thing being stated. Could these be confused with the Zoom ATAs we initially beta tested here?

VOIPo didn't even ask for the Zoom ATA back.
    Its collecting dust here.
    Nothing will make this guy happy and his logic is pretty flawed. I am not going to waste my time on him anymore.