Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Outage - 1AM Central

Default Re: Outage - 1AM Central

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Nothing will make this guy happy and his logic is pretty flawed. I am not going to waste my time on him anymore.
    Yeah, same applies to you. Seems like you need a voip phone for fun and are ready to restart it every day… Nice toy. It was nice talking to you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post
    I think you need to get your wife a 9.99 family share phone in case of an emergency.
    Haven’t seen a family share phone for 9.99

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    Haven’t seen a family share phone for 9.99
    All companies offer family share / add a line for 9.99 and there are free phones that they offer (obviously you have to look at each carrier).

Rather than taking the thread in a negative direction...

1. VOIPo isn't perfect, but Tim is working on it.
    2. Tim did mention possibly getting a 'deal' on some HT502's from a different company that was going under and had excess inventory. However, I do not believe that was the reason for switching to the 502, it was a means of getting extra inventory at a low cost.
    3. Family share plans--offered by both Verizon and AT&T--if you have a "family share plan" the primary line's cost is in line with an individual plan (maybe a variation in cost or # mins included), and add-on lines are $9.99/mo each. The included minutes are shared between both the primary and add-on lines... Obviously, this is not much of an option if the primary line is provided by an employer or if the primary line is a prepaid cell. The point here, though, is that it's probably worth getting a prepaid cell or an add-on line (if your primary line can be converted to a 'family plan') at this time.

Let's please all keep in mind that this forum is intended for community-based customer support. It's great to be enthusiastic about the product being offered here and the service that's provided. But we do have to acknowledge the bumps in the road and understand that not everyone will have the same level of service.

As for equipment, outages, fault, etc. Yes it's true the Phonepower uses the HT502. Unless a PP user or rep posts the info, you don't know what firmware version they're running, each ISP adds variables to the situation, etc. My point is that there may well be issues on voipo's end, your ISP's end, Grandstream's end, etc. At some level, you have to accept the situation for what it is and decide on the best path forward. A few suggestions were made by others in posts above--let me recap and add one or two of my own:
    1. Get your wife a cell phone (prepaid, add-on to family share plan if possible, or primary line). I realize your wife doesn't need one per your post above, but it is something to consider.
    2. Exchange out your HT502 for a PAP2T. Yes, if you do so you'll have to purchase a router which is, understandably, not your preferred route.
    3. Consider obtaining a different ATA on your own, and configure it yourself. For example, you could get a SPA-2102 from ebay (buyer beware). Granted, if you're going to spend that money, you'd probably be better off getting a router and a PAP2T from voipo.
    4. Get a bare-bones POTS line so you can call in to your wife if there is a service interruption.

I realize that all of these options require time and/or money on your part and that they wouldn't be necessary if voipo had everything working on the HT502 as it should. Here's to hoping that situation is resolved, or will be soon, or that voipo is able to send you a different router/ATA combo unit that will meet your needs. Obviously, in the event that all of the above does NOT work out, you're probably best off going with a different phone service provider at this time. Does that mean that voipo is a bad company? Of course not--it just means that they may not be the best choice for you at this time. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Best of luck with a speedy, satisfactory resolution. If you have any other troubles that you think can be answered on the forum, please feel free to post.

[Sorry for the "mod-like" lecture--I'm not a mod and don't want to be (nor am I affiliated with VOIPo in any way other than being a customer, former Beta tester, and HG customer). I thought twice about posting it, given that I'm not a mod, but as you can see, I decided to put it out there anyway. ]

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    R
    2. Tim did mention possibly getting a 'deal' on some HT502's from a different company that was going under and had excess inventory. However, I do not believe that was the reason for switching to the 502, it was a means of getting extra inventory at a low cost.
    Yes, I recall now ... Chinese New Year and inventory was going to run out over that week because demand was way high. I don't know if they sourced any GT502 in the long run, because they switched to PAPT2 to keep customers supplied.

Thanks for the memory jog!
    http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=8857&postcount=1

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

my 502 is in front of my router from the beginning and I still lost reg during every outage. I had planned to eventually move it behind when things were worked out to take advantage of QOS on my D link router. I did read one interesting thing in this thread. That someone disabled router mode on the 502. Is that worthwhile if your in front of another router? and how is it done?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevm View Post
    my 502 is in front of my router from the beginning and I still lost reg during every outage. I had planned to eventually move it behind when things were worked out to take advantage of QOS on my D link router. I did read one interesting thing in this thread. That someone disabled router mode on the 502. Is that worthwhile if your in front of another router? and how is it done?
    Thanks
    You don't want to go to Bridge mode if the 502 is in the front. You can do that only if you get more than one IP address from your ISP.

I am behind the router and did set the Bridge mode and disabled DHCP. So far, it has not lost registration. Then again, nobody else looks like lost registration during the last few days.

In my opinion, VOIP is still in it's infancy. It has a long way to go. The simple truth is there will be outages regardless of adapter, ISP, VOIP provider, etc. For people who need 911 assistance regularly, such as an elderly person or someone with health problems, VOIP probably isn't a good fit for you. If a person needs instant emergency communication 24/7, POTS might be better for them. Not saying POTS is perfect, but it has been around 100+ years and they have it figured out. I decided to go all VOIP and dump POTS to save money and get more features. In return for that savings, I tolerate more outages than I had on my POTS line. VOIPo has had some growing pains recently, but what makes them different is they come right out and admit when they are at fault, explain what is going on, and fix things quickly. It is far better than other VOIP providers I've used in the past, where I would call or open a ticket and wait weeks, only to get a "It's fixed now" response if I was lucky. There are a lot of two-bit VOIP "companies" running Asterisk boxes out of their basement. That is what makes VOIPo different. They are experts and have a great staff and infrastructure. Grandstream hosed them, they learned from it, and moved on to make things right.

I think this is a null issue guys. I recieved my replacement ATA today without even asking for one.

Going to be shipping two 502's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    I received my replacement ATA ...
    Mine today too!
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220...m-HT502-Update

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo