Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Outage - 1AM Central

Default Re: Outage - 1AM Central

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    While you’re waiting for a reply from Tim, let me post:

Honestly, I don’t think a replacement 502 will be better the mine. Seems like they all loose registration. I’m waiting now to see if PAP2T you guys are using is the solution to the problem. Time might show that it’s not the solution and another problem with PAP2T might come up. If you, PAP2T users, confirm that it is reliable then I will probably order PAP2T and buy a router, or switch to another provider.
    Buy a router. The router in the 502 is crap anyway. Then get the Linksys ATA solved all my problems and I could not be happier. I recommend a Linksys WRT54GL http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-...6826845&sr=8-1

Then remove the crappy linksys firmware and install DD-WRT or Tomato.

Yes, I was going to do that, but little bit later. Thank you! Later because I’m not sure PAP2T solved all of the problems. It’s too early to conclude that since you guy are using it only 1-2 weeks, correct?
    Also, I’ve read that many people had troubles configuring Westell 6100 DSL modem into bridge mode to work with a router. I’m not sure how to do that. That’s why I’m so reluctant to switch for PAP2T.

Yes, I was going to do that, but little bit later. Thank you! Later because I’m not sure PAP2T solved all of the problems. It’s too early to conclude that since you guy are using it only 1-2 weeks, correct?
    Also, I’ve read that many people had troubles configuring Westell 6100 DSL modem into bridge mode to work with a router. I’m not sure how to do that. That’s why I’m so reluctant to switch for PAP2T.

You could just find yourself a simple switch since your modem already has a router in it...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6658

Configuring as bridge.

http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_...allation_Guide
    I Void Warranties.

Working flawlessly here as of last week when switched from 502 to PAP2T.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    You could just find yourself a simple switch since your modem already has a router in it...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6658

Configuring as bridge.

http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_...allation_Guide
    Thanks. But do switches have QoS? What is generally better in my case - a router or a switch?

Thanks. But do switches have QoS? What is generally better in my case - a router or a switch?
    QOS is a switch function in the I.T. world. But Im talking about a managed switch... $$

I didnt look but maybe your Westell has qos built into and available on it...

A broadband router (the stuff you buy at office depot and kmart) is a routing device and switch combo... two devices in one... If it has wireless then its three devices in one.

Most of the routers I get to play with are single port in and out devices that feed into a switch...

So there really would be no difference if you used a switch with your modems built in router or bought a combo unit... Other than quality differences. A 5 port switch can be had for very cheap...
    I Void Warranties.

Here's one that won't set you back much. If you need more ports, here's an 8 port one for a little more.

chpalmer,

Thanks for the explanation but it’s too technical for me. Are you saying a typical switch has a QoS capability? I’m sure Westell 6100 does not have QoS. I’ve read about that on forums and I verified that myself. The choice I have is either buying a used Linksys 54g from ebay (around $35) with tomato or a new switch. Taking into account that I want a QoS, and the setup should be very reliable, which of these 2 options should I choose? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Here's one that won't set you back much. If you need more ports, here's an 8 port one for a little more.
    Thanks for links but first link didn’t work.

Thanks for links but first link didn’t work.
    That's odd. Works for me. You can also go to http://bensbargains.net/ and plug the number 95612 into the search box in the lower right side of the page.

Re. QoS: others can confirm/clarify, but my understanding is that most reasonably-priced switches don't have this feature. Some routers do. If QoS is important to you, then you'll probably do better with a router vs a switch. It's a bit redundant if your existing broadband modem already has a router built-in, but a separate router will likely have other features (like QoS) that you may not have with your existing equipment.

Re. QoS: others can confirm/clarify, but my understanding is that most reasonably-priced switches don't have this feature. Some routers do. If QoS is important to you, then you'll probably do better with a router vs a switch. It's a bit redundant if your existing broadband modem already has a router built-in, but a separate router will likely have other features (like QoS) that you may not have with your existing equipment.
    Got you. Thanks. I’ll probably buy a router some time later.