Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Outage - 1AM Central

Default Re: Outage - 1AM Central

QOS would only be on a managed switch. Managed switches are not something you buy cheap...
    I Void Warranties.

You can turn a 50.00 router into a 200.00 router with third party firmware.

Or an old used Pll machine into a $20,000.00 router...

http://www.pfsense.org/
    I Void Warranties.

Thank you all about router/switch/QoS info.

I was kind of ready to buy a used WRT54GL router from my friend but I encountered these new posts here: "Scheduled Upstream Maintenance - CNAM/Various Services" and "New Database Servers" . Even though I got no service interruption during these things, these are kind of scary if you know what I mean. I mean there are still chances of service interruptions for everyone regardless of what kind of ATA they are using. This is due to frequent non-ATA related maintenances and upgrades performed by VOIPo. This makes me delay any ATA (and router) upgrade for now. I want to give it more time. Did anyone get any phone service interruptions during these events?

While I can't say I use my line enough to comment on service interruptions (I generally wouldn't notice them, because I don't use my line enough), I'd like to say that IMO your concerns, while not surprising, are somewhat blown out of proportion. Issues like "upstream provider maintenance" are out of voipo's control, and they likely happen with just about every VoIP provider (but they don't tell you). Issues such as "New Database Servers" are more of a concern, as they involve equipment changes at Voipo. IF Voipo follows good change control / network management procedures, changeouts of database servers should be seamless to the customer. It is my opinion that they announce such things to let you know that something is going on in case you have troubles with your line during the maintenance window.

One other argument FOR getting a router, regardless of having only one device connected 'behind' it, is that the router does provide a hardware firewall for your PC. It may be worthwhile for that reason alone, with the ability to connect more devices to your network as icing on the cake.

I understand about the router, thank you. I only mentioned about these maintenance things because there’s a long hystory of different kinds of service interruptions by VOIPo, and those has affected me a lot.

All right. I got a router (WRT54G, Tomato). I received a PAP2T and installed it. Four days with no problems. Today it LOST REGISTRATION AGAIN! Reset from the phone’s keypads didn’t help. After several hardware resets (power reconnects) it went back on. (For how long? … )

You guys were pointing at me here like why I’m sticking with the HT502 while everyone is on PAP2T already. And here we go again. Now I’m certain that these problems will never end. It’s really hard to hold my anger.. Oh… and let me submit a ticket, just in case….

See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1329 for info.

Once the latency cleared, it would have come back online with 5 minutes on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    All right. I got a router (WRT54G, Tomato). I received a PAP2T and installed it. Four days with no problems. Today it LOST REGISTRATION AGAIN! Reset from the phone’s keypads didn’t help. After several hardware resets (power reconnects) it went back on. (For how long? … )

You guys were pointing at me here like why I’m sticking with the HT502 while everyone is on PAP2T already. And here we go again. Now I’m certain that these problems will never end. It’s really hard to hold my anger.. Oh… and let me submit a ticket, just in case….
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post

Anger management class might do you some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Anger management class might do you some good.
    You’ve graduated that already?