My mother who lives in Texas (I am in Oklahoma) called me complaining of DSL problems with AT&T. After troubleshooting and finding that 50% or more of her packets were being dropped I did a 3 way call with them. They looked up DSL modem serial number and its on a list that need to be replaced. While I was at it I had them check mine. Turns out mine is on the same list (same modem).

I replaced my motorola 2210 DSL modem (for AT&T) after finding out that they are all junk. They overheat and die. Mine had been replaced four times. They wanted to send me another but I made them send me a 2701 2-wire gateway free. Took being transferred all over but in the end retention gladly sent it and they know they are junk.

So after I installed that and forwarded the ports it all seems to be working well. The 2-wire wireless signal is just as strong as my linksys router was. One note when forwarding ports with the 2-wire you have to do tcp/upd individually which takes a little longer but its not that big of deal.

So now I have retired my 2210 forever and taken my router out of the mix. One device doing it all. Prior to replacing it I had slight packet loss. Now I have 0.

So the department of the day is retention for your free replacement 2-wire!