Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grandstream HT502 Update

Default Grandstream HT502 Update

We are still seeing about 10% of the Grandstream HT502 adapters that are in use by our customers not properly maintaining their connection to our network and not reconnecting to our network when there is any kind of a short network interruption.

With the adapters in question, you've likely had to reboot them when they've lost their connection in order to get them to reconnect to our network so they can receive incoming calls. This is not the way they are supposed to function and they should not need regular reboots. Even when there is a service outage, they should automatically recover from that on their own without you needing to do anything.

We've been working with Grandstream to isolate the issue and identify the commonalities in the devices experiencing issues in order to find a fix. So far, this has been unsuccessful.

While the majority of them are maintaining their connection properly, the 10% that are not have created a great deal of problems and made our service seem very unrelaible for many of you.

Once this issue surfaced, we halted shipments of them and began shipping Linksys PAP2 adapters for new orders. The Linksys devices have been problem-free, stayed connected, and reconnected nearly instantly on their own after outages. In a nutshell, they performed as expected and have allowed us to deliver a reliable service that better resembles the stable service we've delivered over the past two years.

At this point, we are preparing for a potential large-scale recall of the Grandstream HT502 devices exhibiting this behavior.

On Thursday, we're going to work with suppliers to determine how quickly we can secure the necessary additional Linksys PAP2 inventory for the replacements and plan out the logistics involved.

Our developers will also be working with Grandstream on Thursday to explain that we're about to issue a "recall" to pull their devices from our network as a last resort to make sure there is nothing else that can be done. If there's not a final "fix" from Grandstream that we feel comfortable with in place by the end of this week, we'll begin the replacements next week.

While this is a very expensive proposition, I feel it's necessary to restore stability for the customers with the devices in question so they can truly experience VOIPo service. In addition, nearly all our support load is related to this issue so we want to move on and start focusing again on enhancing service for all customers. Overall, it's just the right thing to do unless by some miracle Grandstream provides us with a fix on Thursday.

We want to thank all of you for your patience as we've worked through this and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it's caused you if you have one of the devices in question.

We appreciate your business and continued confident in VOIPo. Expect an update on Friday.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 03-05-2009 at 04:56 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Grandstream HT502 Update

I appear to be one of 10%. My 502 sits between my Qwest DSL modem and Netgear router. I've had to manually reboot after both of the recent major hits and occasionally before that.

I've gotten to where I check my registration first thing every morning and periodically throughout the day, time permitting. A permanent solution would be appreciated.

Me too. I wish there was a way that you system could email or text me when it looses connectivity to the ata. I always seem to find out it needs a reboot when someone calls my cell telling me the home phone doesn't work.

I have a PAP2T adapter and like it a lot. It's been ultra stable and I'm partial to the Cisco/Linksys quality and reliability, so I have no problem with Voipo's decision to head in that direction. But the PAP2T I recently purchased has only one network port, whereas the Grandstream has two (one LAN, one WAN). By virtue of only having one network port on the PAP2T, most of your clients like me will simply plug it in behind the router, but yet Voipo wants the adapter in front of the router so Voipo tech's can "see" it in the event remote diagnostics are required. Is there a two port version of the PAP2T that Voipo is shipping out? Or is Voipo abandoning the requirement to keep the adapter in front of the router?

Thank you

Tim, thanks for the update. Hoping GS comes with a permanent fix.

I appear to be one of the 10%. Seems like my HT502 also lost registration sometime early this morning and will be like that till i go home and reboot it. If required i can look into my syslog server and find out what time exactly i lost registration.

Just logged in to Vpanel and no device is registered. Outgoing is working fine. Incoming goes to VM.

I am also one of the 10%.
    My GS is behind a Linksys router and cable modem and has become unregistered with each of these network glitches as well as several other times. My concern in having it in front of the router was based on my CIO experience- test any new piece of gear carefully. If you have an alternative, don't put it in a critical spot. I understood the potential for manual interaction when placed behind a NAT and was comfortable with it. Without knowing the intimate details of the ATA configuration, there should be several reliable methods to "call home" without too much overhead required by the servers or the ATA.

That being said, I am out of state much of the time and my dear technophobic wife has been saddled with the responsibility of manually resetting the ATA when it becomes disabled. Even though I was able to tell her about the ***999 phone based reset, the reliability concerns are rapidly degrading the WAF of our internet phone initiative.

The PAP2T looks good since it has a proven "call home" feature- especially tested recently. If it does, the WAF will steadily rise.

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Quote Originally Posted by dahotvet View Post
    The PAP2T looks good since it has a proven "call home" feature- especially tested recently. If it does, the WAF will steadily rise.

Thanks for staying on top of this.
    The PAP2s give us more options as well. For example, we can send a reboot request or cause provisioning to resync without a reboot right in the SIP headers so it doesn't matter if it's behind the router or not.

So as an example, we can add a "reboot" option in vPanel for PAP2 users to send a signal to them right in the headers.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

It sounds like you gave all the under dogs (5822, 287, 502) a fighting chance but they all bit you in the a$$
    Old reliable wins again !!!!

Tim, if you folks switch over totally to the PAP2, won't that allow you to then use more standard star commands? As I recall, you were forced to use non-standard commands because of the GrandStream.

RA

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    The PAP2s give us more options as well. For example, we can send a reboot request or cause provisioning to resync without a reboot right in the SIP headers so it doesn't matter if it's behind the router or not.

So as an example, we can add a "reboot" option in vPanel for PAP2 users to send a signal to them right in the headers.
    The remote reboot sounds like a real winner to me!