Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a router

Default Help me choose a router

For the last few years I have been using a 2wire modem/router combo. It has come time for me to bridge it as a modem only and buy a real router. I am currently thinking a wrt54gl with dd-wrt loaded. Figured I would see if anyone else has any other recommendations. I need it to have 4 ports at least and do G wireless - do not need N at this time. Also would like it to do QoS as upload starting to become issue on my network.

If anyone has any thoughts and experiences that would be great.

Edited to fix couple typos did not catch on preview
    Last edited by buckethead; 03-15-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixed dd-wrt

Default Re: Help me choose a router

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    For the last few years I have been using a 2wire modem/router combo. It has come time for me to bridge it as a modem only and buy a real router. I am currently thinking a wrt54gl with ww-drt loaded. Figured I would see if anyone else has any other recommendations. I need it to have 4 ports at least and do G wireless - do not need N at this time. Also would like it to do QoS as upload starting to become issue on my network.

If anyone has amy thoughts and experiences that would be great.
    Sounds like you already have a good plan. I recommend DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/01/09) build 11296M NEWD Eko. I also have a 2-wire but due to weird issue with a local server I run I stuck it in bridge mode and went back to using my Linksys with DD-WRT. Runs great! I would not mess with QOS unless you find your call quality suffering.
    Last edited by Xponder1; 03-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Nothing wrong with the linksys and DD-WRT. I personally have chosen the Trendnet and the Zyxel. I am particular about voice quality. I know we only control the outbound packets; but the Ubicom QOS chip is much better in my opinion than firmware/software QOS such as in the Linksys; even with DD-WRT and Tomato. But that's just my opinion. There are a lot of routers that use the hardware Ubicom chip. Let me know if you're interested. The only one I would avoid are the Dlinks. I don't like Dlink ANYTHING. Even the ones that have the ubicom chip. AKA "StreamEngine". But if you want the hardware versions;
    TRENDnet TEW-631BRP is good
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

tomato software for stability.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    TRENDnet TEW-631BRP is good
    I have not had any luck with TRENDnet devices in the past so can not bring myself to purchase another.

I have not had any luck with TRENDnet devices in the past so can not bring myself to purchase another.
    I certainly agree with that.

Whatever other features you may be looking for, I would suggest adding Gigabit Ethernet to the list. You may not need it right now, but if you ever decide to add network storage or similar bandwidth-intensive functions to your setup, you'll be glad you have a router that can handle it. While dlink may not be a favorite of everyone, I've had a good experience with the DIR-655. Looks like Newegg had this on sale for $80 no too long ago.

No sense in "repeating a mistake" if that's what you'd feel like you were doing in purchasing a TRENDnet device. That said, though, I have had an excellent experience with my TEW631-BRP. (My previous routers were Linksys WRT54G v 1.0 that lasted quite a while, then a ZyXEL X-550 that died disappointingly quickly.)

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Whatever other features you may be looking for, I would suggest adding Gigabit Ethernet to the list. You may not need it right now, but if you ever decide to add network storage or similar bandwidth-intensive functions to your setup, you'll be glad you have a router that can handle it.
    I thought about both N and GigE, but just have no need for the next 3 - 5 years. Current WHS box (only thing besides printer and ATA even using LAN ports, rest is wireless) only has 10/100 and I am not upgrading that soon only one laptop has N. When I upgrade WHS box and add another laptop with N then will do it all at once.

Anyone have experience with the ASUS WL520gU? It is $20 less than the wrt54gl and both Tomato and DD-WRT support it. I do not need the USB support so that is a non-issue. Thinking if it will run the software it should be as good as the wrt54gl, although just not sure.

I thought about both N and GigE, but just have no need for the next 3 - 5 years. Current WHS box (only thing besides printer and ATA even using LAN ports, rest is wireless) only has 10/100 and I am not upgrading that soon only one laptop has N. When I upgrade WHS box and add another laptop with N then will do it all at once.

Anyone have experience with the ASUS WL520gU? It is $20 less than the wrt54gl and both Tomato and DD-WRT support it. I do not need the USB support so that is a non-issue. Thinking if it will run the software it should be as good as the wrt54gl, although just not sure.
    You've just portrayed my exact thoughts of router selection.

I tried all the ones mentioned and until I got the ASUS, I found I didn't know just how well a router was supposed to work.

Mine is absolutely a joy. Works right out of the box, maybe a few tweaks..QOS-DNS, etc. It just sits there and rocks. The functions are all menu driven and there are plenty of them.
    I made this suggestion elsewhere, but if you could buy one from a place where you could return it without penalty, I would strongly suggest giving it a whirl.
    I have to say that the initial reasons for trying this box was that it had a rebate and was returnable, as everything I buy must be. It turns out that in my apartment I must use wireless as cables can't be run, and this is the first that reaches across and hasn't missed yet.
    If you do get one, be sure to upgrade the firmware to 3.0.0.5. if it's not already there. Has many more goodies and screens to see what's going on and to adjust things.

Although it is upgradeable to WRT and such, I have no need for any of this since it gives me perfect VOIP..runs 4 pcs-1 laptop..my DSL modem is bridged and the ASUS does PPPoE...and I get my full rated DSL speed.