Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Database Servers

Default New Database Servers

We're adding more database servers today.

This should not cause any issues, but I wanted to post ahead of time and let you know that if you see any quirkiness in vPanel, it could be related.

Again, no issues are expected from this and it'll increase stability quite a bit.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: New Database Servers

Tim,

Is there any particular reason why you don't do this sort of thing during an off-hours maintenance window, like 03:00 Sunday morning, or something like that? Seems to me that you really don't want to me generating more possible complaints these days.

IMHO, no change (unless a sev 1, of course) should be made during production hours.
    Last edited by abward; 03-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abward View Post
    Tim,

Is there any particular reason why you don't do this sort of thing during an off-hours maintenance window, like 03:00 Sunday morning, or something like that? Seems to me that you really don't want to me generating more possible complaints these days.

IMHO, no change (unless a sev 1, of course) should be made during production hours.
    I wonder if that's the result of the outages many are experiencing now..

When we added new database servers to the mix a few minutes ago, there was a table that was not fully synced for some reason and left about 3000 records out for a few minutes.

It is being restored/pushed to all database servers right now and those clients should be back up now.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Tim,

This was a pretty critical change (will eliminate the latency issues that have come up a lot lately).

Some people don't agree with the timing, but I don't want to do something at night and then risk something happening when support is not fully staffed to handle the flood of calls.

The main reason we do this stuff during the day is so that our support center is fully staffed and available if issues do come up.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 03-16-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

I think the results today speak for themselves. I rest my case, but I won't rub it in anymore.

Cut them some slack. Tim doesn't have to post anything in the forums about it. At least they make announcements so people know what is going on, instead of just doing something and denying anything has changed if there are problems.

Sorry, but no slack. As a paying customer, and a guy in the IT business for 27 years, I expect maintenance windows (potential outages) to occur during off hours, and I expect (of course hope against) only sev 1 or unplanned outages during normal hours.

That is just the way it is done, period.

There is insufficient amount of paper in the world to list the number of times when IT people go make a change that is not supposed to break anything, but does anyway. I even periodically do this wonderful practice myself! This is why, repeat after me, we never change production systems during normal operational hours.

Thumbs up Re: New Database Servers

This is why, repeat after me, we never change production systems during normal operational hours.
    Amen, brother.

Sorry, but no slack. As a paying customer, and a guy in the IT business for 27 years, I expect maintenance windows (potential outages) to occur during off hours, and I expect (of course hope against) only sev 1 or unplanned outages during normal hours.
    My telephone is needed 24/7. I never know when I will need it or when an emergency will come up. My telephone doesn't know banker's hours. I know I do as much maintenance after hours as possible, but sometimes the benefit of making changes, all things considered, can outweigh the risk. With VOIPo being relatively new with a very small staff of tech people, and since I am saving lots over POTS, I am willing to cut them some slack, paying or not.

99.5% of people (maybe even you) probably would not have known the difference on any database problems, yet Tim found it appropriate to post that information in a public forum. I give him a lot of credit for that.
    Last edited by scott2020; 03-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.