Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VoIPo Service with Tomato 1.23

Default Re: VoIPo Service with Tomato 1.23

Thats interesting, I went with Tomato because it seemed better with QOS and bandwidth meter etc. I did like the DDWRT user interface much more.
    However, I have not had any issues since switching to the Linksys with Tomato. I have actually been put off ant Netgear routers now except the cheap ones !!!!

I am running .23 on a Asus WL-520gU and have not had a problem, although no interruptions in service the last week or so since I got it up and working. Took me a few days to get QoS set up, but since then no issues at all with call quality or anything else.

My set up is bridged DSL modem(2wire) -> Asus 520gU -> PAP2T.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    I am running .23 on a Asus WL-520gU and have not had a problem, although no interruptions in service the last week or so since I got it up and working. Took me a few days to get QoS set up, but since then no issues at all with call quality or anything else.

My set up is bridged DSL modem(2wire) -> Asus 520gU -> PAP2T.
    That ASUS router is the very best I ever had. Since I'm not into Tomato, etc., nor do I have a need for it, I run the router as is. I did a few firmware upgrades since I got it, the latest being 3.0.0.5.

If you actually got the 2 wire running with no problems, you are quite lucky. Maybe being in bridged mode helps. I have the Netpoia 2210-02 in bridged mode and I too, let the ASUS do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    If you actually got the 2 wire running with no problems, you are quite lucky.
    The 2wire worked perfectly for the last 2+ years and still was - I just wanted more control and add in QoS as my lan was starting to get used more and more.

One other note about Tomato is that is seems in .23 the wireless power control does not seem to work either - LINK. While I have no problems and do not need to adjust my power it seems as if .23 has a few little bugs.

I was strictly Linksys w/Tomato for the last 4 years. Never even had a single problem that was router related, till I upgraded to V23. I had been looking to run a repeater for the far end of my house, but Tomato did not have that option. Once v23 started giving me issues I didn't hesitate to switch to DD-WRT. I used a WRT54GL as my router, and a WRT54GS as my repeater. Worked great but I wanted to upgrade my network. I'm sure Tomato will work out the bugs in the next version. It's a really good firmware, just not the latest version.

So strange occurrence today ...

I realized the phones were dead like when I was asked to test a soft reboot of the router. Re-powering the router did not seem to solve it. I was not feeling like troubleshooting just now, so I tried them on their own IP direct to the Modem (I have 3 IPs possible) and the immediately registered.

Very odd. I think I coming down with a cold and not at my sharpest right now ...

OK, decided to try them back off the router (no reboots or power cycles) and both PAP2T immediately registered as if there was never a problem.
    Last edited by usa2k; 03-28-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Montano View Post
    I was strictly Linksys w/Tomato for the last 4 years. Never even had a single problem that was router related, till I upgraded to V23. I had been looking to run a repeater for the far end of my house, but Tomato did not have that option. Once v23 started giving me issues I didn't hesitate to switch to DD-WRT. I used a WRT54GL as my router, and a WRT54GS as my repeater. Worked great but I wanted to upgrade my network. I'm sure Tomato will work out the bugs in the next version. It's a really good firmware, just not the latest version.
    I am running Tomato on my v4 WRT54G using V23 and it seems ok so far. I have DD-WRT on a GL set up as a client bridge. I could never get it set as a client bridge using Tomato but DD-WRT was simple to set up.

VOIPoJustin Guest

They've felt fairly comparable in my limited experience with both (and a significant improvement over any stock fw).

-- DD-WRT: more options, clunky, reboot after most changes
    -- Tomato: nice, smooth (ajax) gui, pretty charts, cleaner feel

I'm running a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with Tomoto 1.23, qos enabled, static dhcp set for the PAP2T. I also have an ASUS WL-520gu with Tomato 1.23 set as a wireless ethernet bridge for my entertainment center. I haven't had to reboot anything since last December, save for all the fun with my Grandstream HT502. The replacement PAP2T has been up and running without cycling the power since I received it.

How the heck did you get the other router to work as a wireless bridge using Tomato? I tried and tried and finally went the DD-WRT route which was easy.