Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VoIPo Service with Tomato 1.23

Question VoIPo Service with Tomato 1.23

Hello everyone. Very happy customer, great support, communication from Tim, yada, yada....

I am having a very strange problem that I would say is a router issue, but am suprised neither the GS 502 or Linksys PAP2 can handle.

I have everything on my network behind a Linksys WRT54T GS, running Tomato 1.23. I currently have the Linksys PAP2 (from VoIPo) on-line. Using "static" DHCP for all devices on network.

If I lose power to router or reboot, my Voipo service goes down and does not come back. Even a soft reboot does not work AND a "fast" hard reboot does not work (remove power, re-apply power within 1 to 2 seconds).

The only thing that works is to remove power from the PAP2 for ~30+ seconds, re-apply power, and service is restored.

Appears the router / Tomato FW is holding on to state of connections for the IP address even after a soft reboot of the router.

Question:

Anyone else using Tomato 1.23 and NOT having this problem? If so, and you are willing to chat (either voice or electronically), can you send me a PM or if you were and made some change that resolved this behavior, please share on this post?

Thanks!!!

Default Re: VoIPo Service with Tomato 1.23

Just a random thought here, but have you tried putting the static IP in the PAP2 itself?

It almost sounds like a possible DHCP issue like maybe the static IP is not being reassigned until the PAP2 is completely rebooted and sends a DHCP request again?
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Yes -- infact, this is one way I can "workaround" the problem (lots of testing today with this issue led me to this idea). If the unit will not come online as I have posted, I log into the PAP2 (dhcp address), change the IP to a static on my network, and reboot. Works.

So, during testing today, looking at various FW/router settings, saving, rebooting -- you get the picture I have gone back and forth between static and dynamic (or change to another IP) on the PAP2.

So, I guess I could have mentioned that -- but I have tried so many things. I did run into a post here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/sh...r+voip+service

Which highlights some type of known issue with Tomato 1.23.

I have seen other posters on this forums using Tomato -- I am hoping to here more about their configurations.

64.233.217.2, 64.233.217.3 are the DNS entries on my Tomato 123
    HT502, HT286, and PAP2T have not had that problem.
    I think those are my WideOpenWest Cable DNS servers.

Looks like I did not set them like before.
    I have my PC hard coded to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4

WOW Cable likes to choose where to direct a bad URL.
    I don't like uninvited spam that my ISP likes.

EDIT: Have not lost Router power in a while though ...
    Connection Uptime 7 days, 22:42:46
    Remaining Lease Time 6 days, 01:25:22
    Last edited by usa2k; 03-26-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Thanks usa2k. So are you saying if you soft reboot your router, your adapter is able to re-establish service without the need for a power reboot of the the adapter, as I have described?

If not too much trouble, can you tell me what model/version of router you are using? Also, can you confirm and are willing to share who your ISP is -- one idea I have is type of IP address I am getting from Cox and want to compare what your ISP does.

Thanks!!

-bird

while I have not experienced the issue, but see if VoIP SIP registration issue on router reboot helps
    BTW, my modem, WRT54GS (tomato v1.23 f/w), ATA, ... are on a UPS
    Cheers,
    -v
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

I just saw the thread that voxabox referenced. UDP timeout of 10 seconds seems low. I am not familiar with Tomato but I assume this is the NAT entry timeout for UDP packets. Since the NAT send alive interval for PAP2T is 15 seconds, you will have a 5 second window where the NAT entry will not exist. And you will have problems getting incoming calls during that window.

1bird2, play around with the value and make sure incoming works fine.

http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=14
    (Links about my router discussions ...)

More to come ...

Hmmm, I am confused about my uptime
    Uptime 91 days, 21:19:55 was also on the same page as:

Connection Uptime 7 days, 22:42:46
    Remaining Lease Time 6 days, 01:25:22

Maybe I never rebooted after all?

Model is:
    Name WRT54GL
    Model
    Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL

Just did the soft reboot for the first time.
    I've moved things around, and that relates to the shorter uptime I think?

EDIT: You are right, after a soft reboot, (of Tomato) I lose the PAP2T registration.

A cold boot of the router gets them back!
    Last edited by usa2k; 03-27-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Thanks all for the posts. I am pretty confident that there are definite issues with Tomato and Voip services in general. I will be hauling a network analyzer home from work today to sniff the network this weekend as I can reporoduce this issue everytime like clock work. I have seen all of these other posts at dslreports, linksys.org saying do this or that --- tried em all, not seeing any success. My router, cable modem, linksys pap2 are all on a 40 min ups, so that will help. trust me, when there is a problem, I am not home or I am in my car, on a plane, whatever (then you can imagine what I hear then.....)

My suspision now is turning to the type of up stream IP network I am on (i.e. is Cox NATing my connection to them).

I will follow up on what I find or what type of solution I come up with at my end.

For Tim -- I would add to your wiki KB issues with Tomato, or at least bring it up as a potential issue with service if they are having strange issues with connectivity as I have documented (here and in your ticketing system).

Thanks again for all of the input from everyone.

-bird

I was having very similar issues with Tomato v23. Never had any issues with v19 and wish I had never upgraded. Switched to DD-WRT and the problems went away. Shortly after, I decided to upgrade my network to gigabit throughout so my Linksys router gave way to a new DLink DIR-655. Took a while to find out what all the setting did, but now everything is running perfectly. I still have DD-WRT running on my WRT54GS which is now a repeater for my DLink.