Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linksys PAP2 Firmware Update

Default Re: Linksys PAP2 Firmware Update

BTW, in terms of the timing of the Firmware Updates, here is some info on our reasoning. I posted this in another forum, but it bears repeating here:

---

First I just want to mention that the latency was a network problem at the datacenter we have core database equipment in and wasn't related to the firmware update. It's two separate issues.

With the firmware update though and some similar types of maintenance, we've debated it but in the end opted to do them during the evenings instead of late at night. This is only for maintenance that should have almost no impact for most users. If it would cause a major disruption for most users, we do it off peak.

There are different views on this, but ultimately anytime something like this is done, there will be a handful of users that run into issues even if 99% of the customers don't notice it (assuming it goes smoothly). For those customers, it's better for them to notice the disruption so it can be corrected (if they need to reboot as an example) give the nature of this service. In the past we've seen cases where doing it at night was not the best solution.

As an example, we've done something overnight and then a user went to work (not knowing it's down) leaving a sick spouse at home who had surgery recently. When they called to check in, they couldn't get through. If they'd have noticed, this situation wouldn't come up. That's a true example.

I guess the best short answer is that it shouldn't be noticeable for 99% of users even during peak, but "if" there are issues they will likely not be self-healing and will require a reboot or something along those lines. This is a contrast to something like a website which would require no user intervention to come back online if maintenance didn't go well.

Another side point is that if there are issues that come up, our full support center is available to help those users vs them waiting or dealing with a limited support team.

So again, I know some don't agree with this maintenance philosophy, but ultimately we felt it was the lesser of two evils for someone to notice it vs it being down and them not knowing it's down while they're missing calls.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Xponder1,

1. I spent a lot of time configuring the router because I installed Tomato firmware on it, and yes, I don’t install Tomatoes or routers every day. Yes, I plugged PAP2T in and it was it, and it was working fine until today. And this tells me that you did not read my post carefully.

2. My internet is not a crap, and Tim acknowledges every time that the issue is on their side. BTW, you’re the one who should watch your language here. I never used words like “crap” as you did.

3. “Wow you have had one problem and your freaking out”.
    First of all, I did not have ONE problem. I’ve been having them almost every day when I was on HT502. Read my posts. And second, I’m not freaking out, put simply communicating. The service is really inconsistent here and I’m not gonna keep my mouth shout about that. It’s a public forum.

4. I like that too. I just don’t like to have my phone disconnected in the middle of a working day and without me knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Since the 502's were replaced I have not had a single problem until today.
    Which is how long? I believe about 3-5 weeks. You consider that a good service?

Tim is a great guy and if you would open your eyes and see the big picture you would feel the same way.
    I agree. But problems go on. New ones every time.

Coming on the forums where they provide limited support harassing and insulting them does nothing but annoy everyone else. Next time try submitted a ticket.
    I don’t recall insulting and harassing except maybe by you on your previous post. And yes, I submitted a ticket.
    Last edited by stason99; 03-30-2009 at 09:25 PM.

stason99 - You're obviously frustrated. I think the Grandstream issues early on have permanently affected your opinion of VOIPo service.

As I've said before, if you're not comfortable with VOIPo service, I'm happy to arrange for a refund so you can find a service that might meet your needs better. ViaTalk is a company that has similar pricing which may be an alternative to look at.

If this is something you'd like to take advantage of, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    Xponder1,

1. I spent a lot of time configuring the router because I installed Tomato firmware on it, and yes, I don’t install Tomatoes or routers every day. Yes, I plugged PAP2T in and it was it, and it was working fine until today. And this tells me that you did not read my post carefully.

2. My internet is not a crap, and Tim acknowledges every time that the issue is on their side. BTW, you’re the one who should watch your language here. I never used words like “crap” as you did.

3. “Wow you have had one problem and your freaking out”.
    First of all, I did not have ONE problem. I’ve been having them almost every day when I was on HT502. Read my posts. And second, I’m not freaking out, put simply communicating. The service is really inconsistent here and I’m not gonna keep my mouth shout about that. It’s a public forum.

4. I like that too. I just don’t like to have my phone disconnected in the middle of a working day and without me knowing that.

Which is how long? I believe about 3-5 weeks. You consider that a good service?

I agree. But problems go on. New ones every time.

I don’t recall insulting and harassing except maybe by you on your previous post. And yes, I submitted a ticket.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 03-30-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    stason99 - You're obviously frustrated. I think the Grandstream issues early on have permanently affected your opinion of VOIPo service.

As I've said before, if you're not comfortable with VOIPo service, I'm happy to arrange for a refund so you can find a service that might meet your needs better. ViaTalk is a company that has similar pricing which may be an alternative to look at.

If this is something you'd like to take advantage of, let me know.
    I know about ViaTalk. And no, I’m not leaving now. I’m giving you more time to fix you issues. But meanwhile I’m not going to hesitate and put out my opinion about the service here on the public forum. But if you’re intended to ban me here on the forum, please, just let me know in advance. But anyway, I would wish so that you focus on straightening out your service problems, rather than trying to get rid of me and other people who are not completely satisfied.
    Last edited by stason99; 03-30-2009 at 09:44 PM.

I know about ViaTalk. And no, I’m not leaving now. I’m giving you more time to fix you issues. But meanwhile I’m not going to hesitate and put out my opinion about the service here on the public forum. But if you’re intended to ban me here on the forum, please, just let me know in advance. But anyway, I would wish so that you focus on straightening out your service problems, rather than trying to get rid of me and other people who are not completely satisfied.
    I am not even going to go into your previous reply but I think you should strongly consider what Tim is offering you. You clearly are not impressed with the service. They offer a money back guarantee so if people like you do not like the service you can move on to a service that better suites your needs. Your not happy. We all see that.

Your basically saying "no I pass but when it does not work the way I expect I will be here crying on the forums about it". If you pass up the chance to get your money back you only have yourself to blame.

Everyone can see you made up you mind about the service before you ever received your pap2. If you truly want to give the service a chance your going to have to let go of the past experiences with the 502 and pretend its a clean slate with the pap2. So for example you had one problem. If you can not think like this take your money and run.

Oh, and Tim is not trying to get rid of you or anyone else. Some people will not be happy no matter what they do. He is giving you the chance to make your own decision.

I wish you the best either way.

I've been with VOIPo since the beta testing days and find the service to be quite good for me. I came from other VOIP providers where I felt the same way you do about VOIPo and guess what, I left.
    With the service I had before, it hardly worked for me 2 days in a row, and I posted about it as well. After a while, the company made me the same offer that Tim has made you. I couldn't wait to jump on it. The funny thing was that I had already selected VOIPo and was beginning my port to them even though I had a year to go on my contract.

Perhaps VOIP is not the kind of telephone service that will ever satisfy you no matter how well it works. It's not for everybody. Instead of the frustration you are experiencing, maybe you should be trying some other services in the meanwhile, while trying to get settled in with VOIPo.

I had the same frustration as you with a previous service and the best move I ever made was to go with VOIPo.

Good luck and I hope all works out well for you.

I think there are some of us that really want to figure out issues and solutions instead of just throwing in the towel. I see nothing wrong with that, along with people venting when things are not going their way. I also get frustrated sometimes when I am trying to find some solutions and the stock answer is "well it works fine for me". Great! But that doesn't help the people that are frustrated and working to find solutions that can benefit others. Mine right now is DTMF issues, and trying to get that resolved. But a "no issues here" doesn't help, it only adds to frustrations.

If I get a working configuration I will be more than happy to share it with the Voipo community so that would help others that are having the same issue. Isn't that why we are all here and at other technicals forums?

Not sure if this is related to the firmware update. But my pap2t seems to auto reboot every hour now.

Guess I need to find the trouble ticket area.

You'll need to log in to the billing area.
    Russell

VOIPoJustin Guest

You can also just shoot an email to support@voipo.com, and it'll automatically hit our support system (and create a ticket).

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    You'll need to log in to the billing area.