Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys PAP2 Firmware Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Linksys PAP2 Firmware Update

After thorough testing, we're updating the firmware on all PAP2s to version 5.1.6.

The bulk of our PAP2s have been running this version from Day 1, so it is very stable on our network.

Units that shipped with the lower version were not upgraded and this upgrade is meant for them.

Later today your adapter will reboot and apply the upgrade automatically if you're not already running it. It should take less than 5 minutes and you should not need to do anything.

This version is more stable overall, deals with errors better, and reduces the likelihood of some voices being interpreted as DTMF tones.

If you have any questions, please contact support@voipo.com for assistance.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 03-30-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Linksys PAP2 Firmware Update

When your device updates, it will take 3-5 minutes. Please let it update and do not reboot it while it's doing it. Otherwise it'll have to start over and repeat the upgrade.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

My PAP2T lost registration today for the whole day, and the only way to get it back was to power cycle it several times (It’s on router). Is that related to your firmware upgrade? I certainly don’t need this kinds of upgrades. Please, do something to prevent these stuff in future.

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    My PAP2T lost registration today for the whole day, and the only way to get it back was to power cycle it several times (It’s on router). Is that related to your firmware upgrade? I certainly don’t need this kinds of upgrades. Please, do something to prevent these stuff in future.
    The firmware upgrade was just pushed out 3 hours ago when I posted the announcement so it wouldn't be related if you had an issue all day.

There's no reason you should have been down all day. There was about a 5 minute outage earlier with some internal latency in Dallas, but that's it.

I'd recommend contacting support to verify all settings are correct.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    There's no reason you should have been down all day. There was about a 5 minute outage earlier with some internal latency in Dallas, but that's it.
    Oh... it’s good to know that. I did contact support (opened a ticket). But I certainly didn’t change any settings, just plugged ATA in.

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    Oh... it’s good to know that. I did contact support (opened a ticket). But I certainly didn’t change any settings, just plugged ATA in.
    Be sure to check the other "Dallas Latency" thread for updates on that. It seems to be coming and going right now.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Be sure to check the other "Dallas Latency" thread for updates on that. It seems to be coming and going right now.
    Oh he did and replied with one of the rudest replies on here.
    I had a small issue today where for some reason I could not call a 1800 number (tried a few it would just go silent) but a reboot of the ATA fixed that. It was weird because any other call was fine.

Mine has updated sometime this PM, however, the time is still GMT based and not EST.
    Can this be changed ?

BTW, in terms of the timing of the Firmware Updates, here is some info on our reasoning. I posted this in another forum, but it bears repeating here:

---

First I just want to mention that the latency was a network problem at the datacenter we have core database equipment in and wasn't related to the firmware update. It's two separate issues.

With the firmware update though and some similar types of maintenance, we've debated it but in the end opted to do them during the evenings instead of late at night. This is only for maintenance that should have almost no impact for most users. If it would cause a major disruption for most users, we do it off peak.

There are different views on this, but ultimately anytime something like this is done, there will be a handful of users that run into issues even if 99% of the customers don't notice it (assuming it goes smoothly). For those customers, it's better for them to notice the disruption so it can be corrected (if they need to reboot as an example) give the nature of this service. In the past we've seen cases where doing it at night was not the best solution.

As an example, we've done something overnight and then a user went to work (not knowing it's down) leaving a sick spouse at home who had surgery recently. When they called to check in, they couldn't get through. If they'd have noticed, this situation wouldn't come up. That's a true example.

I guess the best short answer is that it shouldn't be noticeable for 99% of users even during peak, but "if" there are issues they will likely not be self-healing and will require a reboot or something along those lines. This is a contrast to something like a website which would require no user intervention to come back online if maintenance didn't go well.

Another side point is that if there are issues that come up, our full support center is available to help those users vs them waiting or dealing with a limited support team.

So again, I know some don't agree with this maintenance philosophy, but ultimately we felt it was the lesser of two evils for someone to notice it vs it being down and them not knowing it's down while they're missing calls.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Not sure if this is related to the firmware update. But my pap2t seems to auto reboot every hour now.

Guess I need to find the trouble ticket area.