Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XLite causes PAP2T to fail re-registration

Default Re: XLite causes PAP2T to fail re-registration

Quote Originally Posted by J.Azaria View Post
    sr98: Just to clarify a bit (I'm not currently using a softphone btw, but might try it out in the coming weeks) what you're saying here is a) This field specifies ports local to *my network* for the softphone and b) these ports must either be forwarded to the softphone PC or said PC must be DMZ'd so that these ports are accessible for incoming traffic.

Is that correct?
    Most of the routers will automatically forward the incoming traffic to the appropriate softphone or the adapter. Some routers are very restrictive and some users might have a firewall which you might have to configure. Also, if you have any port forwarding that will come in the picture too..

Generally speaking, don't DMZ, dont port forward and see if everything works correctly. I don't do any of these. You might hit some problems when there is a port conflict on your end. This can be fixed by using STUN, setting rport field etc..

Default Re: XLite causes PAP2T to fail re-registration

Quote Originally Posted by dbmaven View Post
    Wait just a minute...

You're saying NOT to add Colon/port (e.g. :5061) to the domain ??

After VoipoTim explicitly said to do that, using one of these ports?

http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php...62&postcount=3

I know he said that. Maybe the SIP servers are configured to listen on all those ports that are listed. I think Xponder has confirmed that it works with the port setting in the domain field. But I don't think you have to set it. 5060 is the default and it works fine.

Regarding the port setting, I think the original issue was there might be a port conflict on your side. e.g. PAP2T uses 5061 and 5062. To avoid conflicting with those ports and making your router's job easy, Tim was asking you to pick a different port.

Here is something that will "may be" make it easier to understand.. Each NAT mapping has the following fields (each field is IPaddress/port combination)

Inside local -> Inside Global -> Outside Global -> Outside local

At each step, address and port field could be different. If there is no port conflict then "Inside local" port and "Inside Global" port will most probably be same and SIP messages don't have to be modified. Tim was talking about the ports on the "Outside Global" and "Manually specify ports" field sets the ports on the "Inside local" side.