Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else down?

Default Re: Anyone else down?

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Just a sidenote...this loop is a prime and timely example of why we're ending BYOD support.

BYOD users can easily cause a lot of issues like this and do so on a regular basis when they misconfigure things like Asterisk no matter how many safeguards you put in place. Today is was an SPA3000.

If we wouldn't have allowed BYOD, this would not have happened.

Don't shoot us all, some of us leave a pretty lite footprint on your network. I do understand your frustration though.

It looks like someone does not want our service to stay up and just keeps sending these floods of traffic (almost to the point of being a DOS attack).

We're evaluating putting in some more powerful hardware firewalls tonight.
    I'd say that's an accurate description because my service is being denied.

It looks like someone does not want our service to stay up and just keeps sending these floods of traffic (almost to the point of being a DOS attack).

We're evaluating putting in some more powerful hardware firewalls tonight.

If you think you are being attacked, check out:

http://www.stopddos.org/

These guys are sharp and in most cases can identify the source of an active attack within minutes.

FWIW, I did not notice any outage, the Zoom indicates that it's happy with all appropriate lights lit and I still have service; no reboot was required, so I would guess no outage occurred here. It's still set to register to the default sip.voipwelcome.com, where ever that puts me at a given moment.

Please do not shoot all the BYOD users. If you believe there is a problem my equipment, simply turn me off and send me note to fix it! I listen well to criticism before counter-attacking! ;-)
    Last edited by gbh2o; 04-01-2009 at 06:59 PM.

My lights on the PAP2 never went off, but the service was going to dead air, the CP showed the device connected.

Maybe a denial of service, how about all of the obviously fake profiles that were being generated and finally had to be brought to Voipo's attention?

I noticed no devices registered around 4:20 pm and my pap2t showed can't logon to server. However, I left it alone and pap2t re-registered within a few minutes. Everything works fine. Didn't miss a call.

I believe I am on sip. I am a light footprint. I check and double check and then check here and BBR if something is not right. I always figure it will correct itself if left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrowski View Post
    My lights on the PAP2 never went off, but the service was going to dead air, the CP showed the device connected.

Maybe a denial of service, how about all of the obviously fake profiles that were being generated and finally had to be brought to Voipo's attention?
    Forum users wouldn't have anything to do with the other portions of the service. They're not even in the same datacenters.

The attacks do seem to be under control, but we're working on making some changes tonight to beef up our protection since they do seem to come back.

Even more interesting in where we think they originate, but this isn't really the place to go into that.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 04-01-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I know that, but all of a sudden there are an influx here and now you are being targeted. Either a huge coincidence....

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I noticed no devices registered around 4:20 pm and my pap2t showed can't logon to server. However, I left it alone and pap2t re-registered within a few minutes. Everything works fine. Didn't miss a call
    Glad to hear. This is exactly how things are supposed to work with the re-registration.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptrowski View Post
    I know that, but all of a sudden there are an influx here and now you are being targeted. Either a huge coincidence....
    Based on what we think is the origination of the network traffic, we're definitely being targeted and I think everyone on this forum would connect the dots very quickly if I mentioned a certain city. I just can't get into specifics here.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com