Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Between Two VoIPo Numbers

Default Calling Between Two VoIPo Numbers

I haven't been on here in a while. The service is very reliable. I wanted to post here before turning in a ticket to see if anyone had a similar experience. I just noticed that when calling my mother, a VoIPo customer, from my VoIPo line, it went straight to voicemail. She reported that her phone did not ring. I left a message and the MWI lit up. She called me back on my VoIPo line and it defaulted to my wife's cell phone, which is our backup number. Other than this glitch, everything is working well.

Default Re: Calling Between Two VoIPo Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Odom View Post
    I haven't been on here in a while. The service is very reliable. I wanted to post here before turning in a ticket to see if anyone had a similar experience. I just noticed that when calling my mother, a VoIPo customer, from my VoIPo line, it went straight to voicemail. She reported that her phone did not ring. I left a message and the MWI lit up. She called me back on my VoIPo line and it defaulted to my wife's cell phone, which is our backup number. Other than this glitch, everything is working well.
    I would put in a ticket and perhaps for your mom as well.
    Maybe you are each on different servers. They'll figure it out quickly..

Sort of related ... I'd try this instead of posting but everyone else is asleep. Does calling between line 1 and line 2 work with VOIPo? In other words if I pick up (say) line 2 and dial are own number will line 1 ring? And, vice-versa.
    Russell

I have the same problem anytime my 2 lines are on different servers. I can always call from my non-BYOD line to BYOD, but often have trouble the other way. I've wondered why I ever have issues calling from one VOIPo line to another, but haven't gotten any answer to that one yet.

This is a known issue which we are working on ironinig out within this week.
    The problem relates some devices with a certain NAT setup. Rest assured it is being looked into.

PS. Bill - I see Luke got to your ticket. Please give the device a quick powercycle for the change to take affect - you've been switched to the same server as your mother.
    Last edited by VOIPoDylan; 04-20-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have the same problem anytime my 2 lines are on different servers.
    And the subtle difference is both lines are the same VOIPo number.

If VOIPo handled a cloned line, the same as an ATA with a VOIPo number, and a softphone with the same number ...

I do not know if VOIPo has compared other services for ideas. At my recent employer, we were limited by our phone switch (don't know which kind.) It has a call center line that will bounce from available phone to available phone, play a background message while in process, and never reach voicemail. We also have other departments that have a separate line that can ring on all the Service Tech's desks simultaneously. Both a poor compromises, but I wonder if your cloned line is another thing that may need a fresh approach? I think it is a compromise, but got you up and running fast.

Why not identify the MAC ID from each device? Always group twin IDs to one one server, and profile the NAT based on MAC ID so it counts as one device. Use that identifying MAC ID and Port number to assign an internal extension for that number. These extensions could be identified in vPanel ... or have a star code to tell you its number?

Implementing this, your database is more complicated(robust), but now you have invented a primary number with secondary extensions. Let routing route extensions in and out as an enhanced feature.

The doors open to many possibilities as I think about that approach. The inbound ring could be a checklist of all available extensions. They could be all checked by default, but optionally disabled. Routing to that extension could override this for special handling. It could allow for a call attendant approach as an optional feature. You never need more than one real number, and could pay extra for a certain limit of expanded extensions.

One caveat would be each MAC ID may need an E911 profile mapped to it, because the extensions could be anywhere in the world (in theory).

(I guess I should have spun this to a new thread ... )
    Last edited by usa2k; 04-20-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Just to clarify, I'm talking about 2 different phone numbers/lines/devices. Both of my cloned lines are on the same server.
    Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    And the subtle difference is both lines are the same VOIPo number.

If VOIPo handled a cloned line, the same as an ATA with a VOIPo number, and a softphone with the same number ...

I do not know if VOIPo has compared other services for ideas. At my recent employer, we were limited by our phone switch (don't know which kind.) It has a call center line that will bounce from available phone to available phone, play a background message while in process, and never reach voicemail. We also have other departments that have a separate line that can ring on all the Service Tech's desks simultaneously. Both a poor compromises, but I wonder if your cloned line is another thing that may need a fresh approach? I think it is a compromise, but got you up and running fast.

Why not identify the MAC ID from each device? Always group twin IDs to one one server, and profile the NAT based on MAC ID so it counts as one device. Use that identifying MAC ID and Port number to assign an internal extension for that number. These extensions could be identified in vPanel ... or have a star code to tell you its number?

Implementing this, your database is more complicated(robust), but now you have invented a primary number with secondary extensions. Let routing route extensions in and out as an enhanced feature.

The doors open to many possibilities as I think about that approach. The inbound ring could be a checklist of all available extensions. They could be all checked by default, but optionally disabled. Routing to that extension could override this for special handling. It could allow for a call attendant approach as an optional feature. You never need more than one real number, and could pay extra for a certain limit of expanded extensions.

One caveat would be each MAC ID may need an E911 profile mapped to it, because the extensions could be anywhere in the world (in theory).

(I guess I should have spun this to a new thread ... )

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoDylan View Post
    The problem relates some devices with a certain NAT setup. Rest assured it is being looked into.

PS. Bill - I see Luke got to your ticket. Please give the device a quick powercycle for the change to take affect - you've been switched to the same server as your mother.
    Wow, look what my simple little thread has wrought...
    Anyway, thanks, Dylan, for responding. After power cycling my device, it is working well.
    I will be submitting a review on DSL Reports and one thing I will emphasize is VoIPo's outstanding customer support.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoDylan View Post

Dylan - were the issues with NAT resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Dylan - were the issues with NAT resolved?
    No. I had simply placed the callers account on the same server.
    The NAT issues become a problem only when the caller is on a different server from the callee and there are multiple routers involved.