Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Feature: API Access

Default Re: Alpha Feature: API Access

Agree on need for voice mail info and SimulRing.

Hi,

I am not seeing an option to enable API under the beta section in my panel. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
    Hi,

I am not seeing an option to enable API under the beta section in my panel. What am I missing?
    I couldn't find it either, but I guessed the URL. Try going here after logging into vpanel:
    https://secure.voipo.com/beta/api

Quote Originally Posted by uhf View Post
    I couldn't find it either, but I guessed the URL. Try going here after logging into vpanel:
    https://secure.voipo.com/beta/api
    Good call uhf! I'm guessing junior members don't have access to advanced features. I wonder what else we're missing out on?

Can status be added to failover and call forwarding

It is available on DND, can't figure why it's not on the others!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    example1 - forwarding:
    &action=fwd&arguments[0]=status

would return 0 if not forwarded
    would return xxx-xxx-xxxx (10 digit phone number) if forwarded
    --------------------------------------------------------
    example2 - failover:
    &action=fail&arguments[0]=status

would return 1 if failover set to vmail
    would return 2 if failover set to busy signal
    would return xxx-xxx-xxxx (10 digit phone number) if failover set to forward

Here is an interesting use of this api to forward your phone to wherever you are.

I typically use three browsers, home, mobile, and work.

I set each of my browsers default homepage to a simple php script on my server. The server reads the url to determine where i am, sets the Voipo forward, then finally redirects to my real homepage. All in a blink!

To identify where i am, I've added arguments at the end of the url. I also have basic security but removed it to simplify the example.

Example:
    Home: fakeurl.com/voipo.php?loc=home
    Work: fakeurl.com/voipo.php?loc=work
    Mobile: fakeurl.com/voipo.php?loc=mobi

When I leave for work, I just open my mobile browser (which loads my custom page) and my Voipo phone line is forwarded to my cell phone automagically. When I get to work, same thing, open my work browser and the phones are forwarded to my desk phone, When I get home and open the browser there, it disables forwarding.

If I step out for any reason, opening the mobile browser instantly forwards to my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Might be neat if you could use it to make a call which would then ring the ATA and when answered completes the call. Like the Vonage click to call software for example.
    I'd like to see something like that as well. (it would be smoother if you could pick up the phone first then dial via the computer vs. having the phone ring on your end).

I hammered out a quick Shell Script (link), and it does pretty much everything I'd like but I'd love an API call for starting a phone call. If that feature was added I'd be tempted to write a Ruby Cocoa app to handle managing my phone config :-)

Before this goes Beta, I'd like to see the username and password protected. This can be easily accomplished by (1) allowing the API to work over HTTPS (currently it throws the error "Domain does not match license key file domain") and (2) send the parameters as postdata rather than URL parameters.

Sure it would be a little harder to code for. But the username and password would not be sent clear text through local proxys and routers and over the Internet. Nor would every username and password appear in VOIPo's log files.

Post Re: Alpha Feature: API Access

Well, I'd be all about a real API implementation.

I am also all about working with companies and individuals on ALPHA's, BETA's or RC's - it is for EVERYONE's benefit; I've done it for many years.

Sending UN and PW data (and the arguments themselves) via a URL is such a security issue to the customer base, I am shocked at who suggested, posted and implemented it.

What you have put in place here with little effort would allow a person to break every single customer's service that has enabled the API feature. Does that sound intelligent? ---> I surely do not think so... (But what do I know? Only have 30 years at this. )

I could write a 100 pages here how this could be done differently and safely on VOIPo's system, but I would hope the folks at VOIPo (should) know this. If they do not, they need hire those that do.

I know, this sounds offensive, it is not meant that way; but, sit back and look at the exploit you have implemented with this API, done in a fashion that should have been week one in db, server, C-Panel, V-Panel learning as a NO-NO-NO situation - (Hell, computers 101...) Plenty have repeatedly offered alternatives and there are a myriad of others out there, most just as easy or easier to set up on your servers at VOIPo as how it has been.

Let us all know when this is migrated away from passing our sensitive data via plain-text for all to see and tamper with, I will happily develop with the API at that juncture...

Happy New Year everyone and may you spend it among family, friends and loved ones.
    [I]IF you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make dam sure the bad guy isn't [B]YOU![/B][/I]