Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Feature: API Access

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Alpha Feature: API Access

We've now opened up simple API access in an Alpha stage.

This allows very advanced users to pass commands to the VOIPo system to control various features on their account just like the Control By SMS feature. You can use this to write your own scripts and programs to interact with us.

Right now, we added the basic commands and it's in a simple format. We'd like to get some feedback on it and if it's a popular feature we'll likely improve it so that it's a full SOAP based API. With this version, we just wanted to give you guys that were asking for it something basic to work with.

We can pretty easily add any commands to it and would like some feedback on what you'd like to see added to it.

API Activation

To use the service, simply go to BETA - API in vPanel. There you just need to Enable it and set an API password. We recommend that this be different than your account password.

Once you've done this, you can begin passing commands.

Do Not Disturb (DND)

Action: dnd

Arguments: vmail, busy, off

Example: api.voipo.com/?username=9491230000&password=test&action=dnd&argu ments[]=busy

Failover

Action: fail

Arguments: 10DigitNumber, vmail

Example: api.voipo.com/?username=9491230000&password=test&action=fail&arg uments[]=busy

Call Forwarding

Action: forward

Arguments: 10DigitNumber, off

Example: api.voipo.com/?username=9491230000&password=test&action=fwd&argu ments[]=off
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 06-03-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Alpha Feature: API Access

The forum software keeps manipulating the example URLs so I had to take off the http:// on the front of them so it wouldn't think they were a link and truncate them.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Just testing something...

Code:
    http://api.voipo.com/?username=9491230000&password=test&action=fwd&arguments[]=off

Yep- works... Just use code tags...
    I Void Warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    Just testing something...

Code:
    http://api.voipo.com/?username=9491230000&password=test&action=fwd&arguments[]=off
    Yep- works... Just use code tags...
    Hmmm. I swear that wasn't working earlier.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Sounds good to me.

Nice. Thanks for this! The cronjobs are setup. Take that dad-in-law!

VOIPoJustin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbanc View Post
    Take that dad-in-law!
    lol! Nice...

The geek factor is impressive. But I wouldn't be surprised if I am in the minority by saying, I would have preferred to see a more flexible, updated 'Forwarding' feature rather than another way to activate a Basic Forwarding feature with limited options. Ma Bell Forwarding from the seventies had greater flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by voipoh View Post
    The geek factor is impressive. But I wouldn't be surprised if I am in the minority by saying, I would have preferred to see a more flexible, updated 'Forwarding' feature rather than another way to activate a Basic Forwarding feature with limited options. Ma Bell Forwarding from the seventies had greater flexibility.
    As I stated on other threads, I feel a basic no answer or a busy call forward are options that would be very useful.

I thought I would clean this thread up and post the current suggestions all in one post.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkarron View Post
    I feel a basic no answer or a busy call forward are options that would be very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDog View Post
    I could see several uses for Voicemail:
    • Enable/disable
    • Return number of unread messages
    • Return message details (Message ID, Caller Name & Number, Date/Time, Duration, etc.)
    • File/delete messages using Message ID above

I would think the first two are pretty basic and the last two a little more complicated. I could see this tying into something cool like a Firefox voice mail plug in or something along those lines...
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by ropeguru View Post
    I second this for the VM interaction. Would be great to integrate with my home web page so I can get a quick idea of what my messages are without having to login to the vPanel.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Could add a option to clear message waiting on voicemail.
    and
    Now if we could have an api call that would delete all messages from our voicemail (since we *usually* listen to them via email).
    Perhaps also a "last X callers" where X is a number you could send to the api. The data returned should be customer caller ID aware.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    I would also add my support for Voicemail commands via API. Is there any way Voicemail queries for sub-voicemail boxes (e.g. for virtual numbers) could be supported?

I'd be interested in seeing a mechanism for manipulating the Contacts database for a user account, as well. Add/delete/display/rename? Import and export would be cool, too, but that could probably be done via the add and display commands on the client side...
    How about a option for simul ring.
    What about a new option for DND called "status" which would report if it was enabled, and if so, which type of DND is enabled. This would be handy for a web page I want to put together for my wife that'll tell her what the status is and give her buttons to enable/disable from her iPhone so she can do so while dealing with our little one.
    This feature was implemented and I think it should be added to the first page
    Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoBrandon View Post
    Code:
    http://api.voipo.com/?username=USER&password=PASS&action=dnd&arguments[]=status
    There you go, enjoy!

How about a message that says "Success!" on the API pages if successful for confirmation.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by CrownSeven View Post
    And I agree with Xponder, a confirmation message for each service if it was successful would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    It would be great if all features were available with each access method.
    New suggestion. Currently if you enter a invalid command it says "Your not authorized to do this". How about making it say "Invalid command!".