Thread: What EXACTLY is the Beta "Outbound Caller-ID" feature?

Default What EXACTLY is the Beta "Outbound Caller-ID" feature?

I noticed this feature but am somewhat confused what it does. The only dropdown to fill this field is my virtual number. Can someone explain its usage?

Default Re: What EXACTLY is the Beta "Outbound Caller-ID" feature?

You can add any number like your cell phone in the "Mobile" section. Voipo will call that number and verify the number. You will have to enter a code to verify when Voipo calls that number. Once verified, you can use that number as your caller id.

I was confused because the number displayed is NOT the current setting. It's only what you can change it to.

After I hit the "Set Caller-ID" button (and thus making virtual number the CID value), my real Voipo number became available in the dropdown.

I'd recommend adding another field to display the current value for clarity of this option.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmeister View Post
    I was confused because the number displayed is NOT the current setting. It's only what you can change it to.

After I hit the "Set Caller-ID" button (and thus making virtual number the CID value), my real Voipo number became available in the dropdown.

I'd recommend adding another field to display the current value for clarity of this option.

Thanks!
    We've had quite a few complaints about this being confusing and this is on our list for a future change to it.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmeister View Post

Thanks!
    As Tim mentions there have been other complaints. And, justifiably so - the UI for this feature (to put it very bluntly) would not getting a "passing grade" in any kind of UI review. Yes, adding a label (non-modifiable) field with the currently set caller-id value should be fairly simple (and would give it that "passing grade") :-).

Do note there are people with great programming skills and next to no UI skills (I've been doing both - programming with some UI now and then - for many many years).
    Russell

Thumbs up Re: What EXACTLY is the Beta "Outbound Caller-ID" feature?

Quote Originally Posted by sr98user View Post
    You can add any number like your cell phone in the "Mobile" section. Voipo will call that number and verify the number. You will have to enter a code to verify when Voipo calls that number. Once verified, you can use that number as your caller id.
    Useful feature!

Thanks sr98user's for the instructions.