Thread: Charges incurred with old telephone company

Default Charges incurred with old telephone company

I was with Embarq, which has now become CenturyLink.

I purchased a VOIPO account, got a temporary number, and then forwarded my Embarq/CenturyLink number to my VOIPO temporary number.

I then called Embarq/CenturyLink and asked them to drop my long-distance that I had with them. No reason to keep paying for long-distance with my former company while I'm porting right?

I then initiated the porting of my old number with Embarq/CenturyLink to VOIPO.

Embarq/CenturyLink cancelled the long-distance I had with them and assigned ATT&T as my long-distance carrier without asking me.

My old Embarq/CenturyLink number ports to VOIPO.

I get a long-distance bill from AT&T.

I call AT&T and they tell me I'll have to argue their bill with Embarq/CenturyLink. I call Embarq/CenturyLink and they say my problem is with AT&T and I'll have to take it up with them.

As one might imagine, a small long-distance charge has now been placed with a collection agency by AT&T as they apparently intend to stiff me with a bill for service I never agreed to.

I sent the collection agency a letter of explanation today, called Embarq/CenturyLink and AT&T but got the same song and dance.

Anybody have a problem like this? Is it common? Is there a common solution?

Default Re: Charges incurred with old telephone company

I've never had the problem, but in most states there is a statute called the "fair credit practices act" or "fair credit reporting act" or similar. Under most of these statutes, if you notify the debt collection agency that you dispute the charge and ask them not to contact you again, they are required to comply. You would do this in writing, and also send a letter to both Embarq/CenturyLink and AT&T explaining why you dispute all or part of the claim. The collection agency would then not be permitted to report the alleged debt to any third party (e.g., your employer, a credit bureau, etc.) except under very limited circumstances. In some cases, the collection agency may report the alleged debt to a credit bureau, but they must also report that the claim is disputed. The collection agency faces some stiff sanctions if it engages in any of these prohibited practices. See http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.16.250.

caseydoug: Thanks for your post and the link. Although I covered part of the requirements, it's obvious I'll need to do it correctly.

Maybe I'm an isolated case, but I can assure everyone, my old carrier was not anxious to let me go and for someone who has spent as much as 15 to 20 thousand a year in phone bills, I'm like the low guy on their totum poll when dealing with a minimal long-distance bill I got stiffed with.

VOIPO, you have got the establishment scared stiff, and they are taking it out on the little guys... i.e. the customers - like me and the other members here.

I think it is important that we know what our rights are. I don't want to cheat anyone, but I don't want anyone to cheat me. Especially the old phone companies that have been gouging me for years because I had no choice. Now that I've got a choice, and CHOOSE to exercise it... they think they can nickel and dime me out the door.

That's cheap and demeaning. VOIPO now has a ported number that's been in my family since the 1950's. I used to call my mother and let her know when I got home from school. She used to call me and make sure I was ok... the number used has been with me all my life and I'm 50 years old. Sure it's sentimental... but obviously that means nothing to big companies and the state of today's changes.

I'm happy and proud to be here... and I share my experiences for the benefit of those who share similar experiences and for my benefit from those who like CD who offer the best course of action.

It's becoming a war out there folks. As one would expect...

bwyatt, I just looked up your profile and it looks like you are from Virginia. That is one of the states that does NOT have a fair credit practices statute. However, there is a federal statute that does much the same thing, although generally the state statutes are stronger. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/1681.shtml

Thanks for the info CD.