Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calls to DirecTV each night

Default Calls to DirecTV each night

Nearly every night, there is a 1 or 2 minute call in the logs to DirecTV (8666858469) at about 03:00. I understand that my receiver is probably sending usage stats or something to the mother ship.

Is it doing this each night because it is failing and retrying, or is this normal? I am thinking about unplugging the phone line from the receiver!
    Last edited by abward; 12-30-2009 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: Calls to DirecTV each night

Per http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r188...ecTV-questions
    The phone line only needs to be connected to the DirecTV branded units if you want to order PPV using the receiver and remote. No loss without the phone line - order from the website. I *think* the DirecTiVO units need a phone line all the time (to update the channel guide).

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by abward View Post
    Nearly every night, there is a 1 or 2 minute call in the logs to DirecTV (8666858469) at about 03:00. I understand that my receiver is probably sending usage stats or something to the mother ship.

Is it doing this each night because it is failing and retrying, or is this normal? I am thinking about unplugging the phone line from the receiver!
    Do you have an older DirecTV TIVO or is it one of the newer boxes? TIVO modems are not compatible with most all VOIP providers, the new models work fine (I have 5 DirecTV HD-DVR's). If it's a TiVo the number you are calling may also now be non-working. You would need to update local numbers. Other then that it doesn't need a phoneline anyway but depending on which model you have it may nag you daily. Mine are all connected to my router so all calls are done over the net.

usa2k, ok I will unplug the phone line on it...We never use PPV. Thanks.

MisterEd, it is an HR-21, HD DVR receiver.

Since it is connected via Ethernet to the mother ship, I am not sure why it is trying to call via phone.
    Last edited by abward; 12-30-2009 at 11:29 AM.

usa2k, ok I will unplug the phone line on it...We never use PPV. Thanks.

MisterEd, it is an HR-21, HD DVR receiver.

Since it is connected via Ethernet to the mother ship, I am not sure why it is trying to call via phone.
    It shouldn't be calling unless there is a PPV on your card that never got sent up from before you went network. Also you might want to call DirecTV and tell them to confirm that your receiver is showing as internet connected on your account (IPPV box enabled).

It's possible it could be trying to send useage data. You can opt out from that in your online account under "Privacy." None of mine have ever dialed out even though they all have phone lines for caller-ID and are also networked.

Well that is interesting...I did not know about the privacy setting. I set it to opt-out and we will see if that fixes it. I would rather not lose the caller-id feature.

I will try the IPPV next. I pretty sure we have never watched a PPV.

This is a known problem for some Directv users including myself. It's indicative of failed modem calls through your ATA device. Modem calls through VOIP is basically unreliable, they usually either work or they don't.

For unknown reasons some HD DVR's simply refuse to stop dialing out even with it network connected. Your situation is similar to mine with the exception of the phone number being used. The 866-685-8469 number appears to be the one that is used to report viewing habits. If you follow MisterEd's advice and change the Privacy setting to "opt out" in your Directv account, this should eliminate the dial out problem. If it doesn't fix it or it dials out another number 800-531-5602 (this one is used to report PPV purchases), then you will need to add the *99 dial out prefix to the phone number in your HR21. Hopefully, this will get the modem to work and will maintain the great caller ID feature built into the DVR.

Basically, the *99 command temporarily changes some settings in the ATA to allow it work with a modem. After the call is complete, the default settings are restored in the ATA. This is applicable to the PAP2T and other Linksys ATA's, but am unsure whether it works with the RT31P2. Just give it a try and see if it works or not. The link below contains more information and has another link in the thread on how to add the *99 prefix in the HR21.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r231...ecTV-receivers
    Last edited by tritch; 12-30-2009 at 09:07 PM.

The opt-out did not prevent the call this morning. I will try a "*99," prefix. Thanks tritch.

The opt-out did not prevent the call this morning. I will try a "*99," prefix. Thanks tritch.
    If *99 doesn't work don't give up. It could take up to 1 week for the "opt out" to complete.

Ok, since it did not work...it dialed last night.

Also, I was thinking that I have an H20-600 upstairs too. Maybe it is trying to dial. So, I will unplug the phone on it and see what happens tomorrow.