Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voip Hookup

Question Voip Hookup

A quick pre-sale question on equipment hookup.

I'm on cable internet.
    Does the ATA connect between my cable modem and my internal network router?
    Or can I plug it into an unused router port?

Thanks

Default Re: Voip Hookup

Either will work. If you connect it behind your home router, you may find that the service works better if you forward certain ports to the Voipo ATA. However, many find that port forwarding is not necessary.

Fisamo is correct, except that if they send you a PAP2, I believe that needs to go behind your router. I know it doesn't have a built-in router, and I don't think it has a second Ethernet jack (too lazy to go down to the basement to look ). In any event, it is my understanding that they are not likely to send you a PAP2.

Thanks for the clarification--the PAP2 does have only one ethernet jack and would have to be connected behind a home router. I was speaking of the RT31P2, which Voipo seems to be almost exclusively sending out now.

I haven't yet found a DSL/Cable modem, ATA or any device with its own built in router combo, to work too well.
    I find better results and more flexibility in the settings with a separate router..with all the devices behind it. Better for security as well.

Just my opinion.

I agree, as a long time VoIP user, a separate router is my preference. The nice thing about the RT31P2 is flexibility.

• R=Router
    • T=Telephone
    • 3=3 LAN Ethernet jacks (Your computers)
    • 1=1 WAN Ethernet jack (Your Cable/DSL Modem)
    • P2=2 phone jacks (2 separate phone lines)

You can begin with its router, and as your needs become more advanced, you can add a separate router, and connect the phone device behind it. No need to use the router part, but if things change, it's always there.

Most of my family are finally with High Speed Internet, but have not graduated to using a router. This is a good way for me to introduce them to both, the VoIP world, and the Networked Computer world.

I use this router. I have re-flashed it to an open-source software (In my case Tomato). I recommend this (Wireless is great!), or other routers that allow the longevity of community support software. There are several routers capable of such customization. For small steps in my extended family case, I will introduce them to the RT31P2, and see where it leads.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I also prefer separate devices, and agree with burris that combo devices rarely perform their individual functions as well as a dedicated device would do. However, one advantage to having a router built into your ATA is that you can remove your regular router for testing purposes in order to troubleshoot. Since the router is so often the cause of voip connection problems, it's nice to be able to configure your ATA to obtain a routable public IP address in order to see whether the problems go away.

I will say that even though this (rt31p2) is a combo device the voice function seems to work better than the stand alone devices Ive had...

Using it behind a router here...
    I Void Warranties.

I also prefer separate devices, and agree with burris that combo devices rarely perform their individual functions as well as a dedicated device would do. However, one advantage to having a router built into your ATA is that you can remove your regular router for testing purposes in order to troubleshoot. Since the router is so often the cause of voip connection problems, it's nice to be able to configure your ATA to obtain a routable public IP address in order to see whether the problems go away.
    As someone who has tried both, I vote for the separate devices. Can't tell you how much time we wasted trouble-shooting (while experiencing outage) a combo only to find out it was the router..
    Last edited by KaneKessler; 05-05-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    Either will work. If you connect it behind your home router, you may find that the service works better if you forward certain ports to the Voipo ATA. However, many find that port forwarding is not necessary.
    Why does this vary?