Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireing Phone To House

Default Wireing Phone To House

Went outside to wire it to house and plugged in the VoIPo wire and did not recieve phone service inside the house like there wasent "Power" being sent through the line. Any idea how to solve this anyone done this before?
    iVoIP Online
    http://www.ivoiponline.net
    877-208-2049

Default Re: Wireing Phone To House

I'm not sure why that didn't work, but I do know that you shouldn't have to plug your VoIP line outside.

I did this to feed my entire house: Make sure the external lines were all disconnected on the exterior box, and then plug the VoIP line into any phone plug in the house, and that feed the entire house (assuming the internal wiring is correct ).

Hope that helps.

Edit: I changed that first line, as it used to say "...should have to plug...", and it really should have read "...shouldn't have to plug...". Makes a BIG difference in meaning.
    Last edited by TFlap; 01-14-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Changed "should" to "shouldn't". Makes a big difference in meaning :)

Quote Originally Posted by computergeek7632 View Post
    Went outside to wire it to house and plugged in the VoIPo wire and did not recieve phone service inside the house like there wasent "Power" being sent through the line. Any idea how to solve this anyone done this before?
    The only thing you should have to do outside is unplug your local phone company feeding your house wiring. Then (as mentioned by TFlap) you should be able to feed the ATA output to any phone jack. Unclear why you'd want to run the ATA output all the way to the exterior of your house - it's possible you plugged it into the wrong socket!
    Russell

Not only disconnect the local phone company lines, but hang a large tag on them cautioning the phone company not to re-connect them. If they do and your ATA is hooked to that line, it will likely destroy it..

Went outside to wire it to house and plugged in the VoIPo wire and did not recieve phone service inside the house like there wasent "Power" being sent through the line.
    Specifically, if you plugged a cord into the jack in your NID, you almost certainly connected to the phone company side instead of your house. Usually the plug end inside the NID leads to the house wiring.

Ok guys thanks! Our house is wired very weird and the only way to have it work is to run it outside I did however figure out how to do it
    iVoIP Online
    877-208-2049

Ok guys thanks! Our house is wired very weird and the only way to have it work is to run it outside I did however figure out how to do it
    What did you end up doing to make it work?
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I had a splitter and hooked it up in the box that way 1 line was voipos the other went to the house (The line that was already in there)
    iVoIP Online
    877-208-2049

I had a splitter and hooked it up in the box that way 1 line was voipos the other went to the house (The line that was already in there)
    That could prove to be a huge mistake. The other line is the phone company. If they send a current threw the line your ATA is dead. You only need to plug the cord from the ATA into your phone jack inside (any jack) and leave that wire outside unplugged.

It is easier to do it outside than inside due to our house is like 3 together and its wired really weird lol
    iVoIP Online
    877-208-2049