Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issues with available numbers and rate centers

Default Re: Issues with available numbers and rate centers

Quote Originally Posted by uhf View Post

I guess I'm saying that I much preferred the "to be assigned" system rather than the guess if coverage might be available tomorrow/next week system now in place.
    I understand that, but in some cases it was a month before carriers had inventory in and we have very hostile people getting impatient waiting for their number. This increases support costs a lot since customers have to contact support and it's not automated.

Pros and cons to all ways and we're open to finding a better way, but if we can't give a definitive timeline for the "unavailable" areas to have new numbers issued, customers get very hostile very quickly.

We've found that most customers see a location isn't available and will order a closeby area rather than waiting.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Last edited by usa2k; 01-29-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    Looks like Quest has a lock on Cedar rapids
    http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/cl...de=CDRRIADTDS0
    There's definitely others. 360 Networks is one. Looks like that is probably the carrier in question in this case. I have one of their DIDs now in Independence, Iowa (from Voipo). MegaPop/StarNet is another possibility, although I haven't found a list of exchanges they cover yet. They have dial up internet numbers there.

Makes me think I better hold onto that virtual number I have instead of having it canceled when my Qwest number ports, which should be Monday. I may not be able to get one again if I want one, and it's a xx00 number, which is always nice.

edit to add: 360 shows current availability in Cedar Rapids. Wonder why it's not available through Voipo, or maybe it won't show up until tomorrow?
    Last edited by uhf; 01-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.

I had clicked on the wrong link - it is corrected in my post.
    Sorry for miss-information!

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I understand that, but in some cases it was a month before carriers had inventory in and we have very hostile people getting impatient waiting for their number. This increases support costs a lot since customers have to contact support and it's not automated.

Pros and cons to all ways and we're open to finding a better way, but if we can't give a definitive timeline for the "unavailable" areas to have new numbers issued, customers get very hostile very quickly.
    Alright, Tim's comments and USA2K's list for Austin gave me an idea...
    I noticed that MagicJack has 26,000 Austin numbers reserved - presumably significant 'internal' inventory they've decided to reserve.

I, like some others have mentioned, are primarily interested in serving a specific geographic area (in my case, Austin - a large MSA). However, numbers continue to be scarce (or nonexistent - depending upon the moment you check via the API). So, what if resellers could keep their own inventory for areas of specific interest to them...

That said, here's the proposed 'better way'...
    Presumably, VOIPo pays significantly less than $1/month to 'rent' a DID (I know - price likely varies by rate center). In addition to the $1/month VOIPo would charge resellers for an 'active' number, would it be possible/feasible for you guys to offer an additional feature to resellers... inventory capture?

For example... In addition to the 'create account' function, I could have a 'buy inventory' function with the same drop down boxes that would allow me to 'buy' a number and place it on my reseller account, with these considerations...
    • These numbers would be reserved for my reseller account, but would remain 'unassigned' to any reseller customer account and thus would not have any activity - yet be available exclusively to that reseller account.
    • VOIPo would pass on the expense of renting the number (maybe at cost or just slightly over) - presumably something around $0.25/month/number, if my wholesale DID research is accurate - and some areas go for around $.15/number/month (an example/suggestion - not trying to set policy, Tim!).
    • When creating a new account in the reseller CP, a new option would appear in the "state" drop-down called "Inventory", which would then pop a dropdown of all available inventory numbers in numerical order. (Or, better yet, inventory numbers would appear mingled in with their appropriate state/city service area selection, possibly designated with an asterisk or something to indicate it is an inventory item... that way I can decide to pick a 'new' number, or select an existing inventory item)
    • Once placed in service on a customer account, the number then begins billing as an 'active' number at $1/month.
    • Ideally, when an account is 'canceled', resellers would have the option of fully canceling the number as we do today, or canceling the customer account and returning the number to reseller inventory.

This would allow those resellers experiencing number acquisition challenges to carry their own inventory (at a reasonable cost) for areas they are especially interested in serving, rather than risk having to turn customers away. With this design, each individual reseller would also be able to determine their own cost/benefit/risk threshold for inventory.

So, what'dya think?

+1 for that thought!

I suspect ordering numbers may also involve a minimum quantity, so if that is the case, it could be part of the criteria. I do not know if they all have to be from 1 area either?

Not to make this overly complex ... There may also be the option of choosing the reserved inventory that allows outbound CNAM, Phone Book Listing, and other things that the Reseller could charge more for if targeting Business Clients.

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Within the next few weeks, we're adding our primary CLEC to the inventory via API. They have [pretty substantial coverage (top 2600 ratecenters) with at least a few hundred numbers in each ratecenter.

Here is an example of just Texas ratecenters offered: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/co...H.COM&state=TX

Once we integrate their API, the inventory will go up a lot.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Once we integrate their API, the inventory will go up a lot.
    This might be good for me... Before BW.com inventory was sparse.

Tim, by adding BW.com does that mean I might move up a tier? Right now I am in tier 3 per your excel spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by zevin View Post
    This might be good for me... Before BW.com inventory was sparse.

Tim, by adding BW.com does that mean I might move up a tier? Right now I am in tier 3 per your excel spreadsheet.
    That's with BW factored in. Tier 0 is BW. Tiers 1-3 are others (Level3, Paetec, Broadvox, etc)
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

oh, my party just got shut down....