Thread: VOIPo via Wireless WiFi?

Question VOIPo via Wireless WiFi?

Hi all,

I only have 3 internet options where I live: dial-up, satellite or wireless 3G WiFi. Dial-up out here in the country is terrible and satellite is a NO-GO. So...is anyone using VOIPo with hi-speed 3G wireless instead of hard wired broadband internet?

Thanks for your time and bandwidth

Default Re: VOIPo via Wireless WiFi?

I'd imagine it depends on the speeds mostly, if voipo works with dialup it would probably work with 3g.

And depend on latency.
    What is your 3G ping times to sip.voipwelcome.com ?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I have used VOIP over a satellite internet connection with a soft phone on a PC, and it sort of works. I didn't have problems with dropped packets or audio breaking up as much as a HUGE delay due to the latency. I was getting 600-900 milliseconds latency, so when I would say "hello" the other end would hear it 2-3 seconds later. It worked but I wouldn't want to do it long.

If you get 100 to 150 milliseconds latency on your 3G connection it might be ok. You will want to check with your 3G provider to make sure VOIP traffic is allowed, because come discourage it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm in the middle of upgrading from a HTC Mogul to a HTC Touch Pro via Sprint. I use my Pocket PC as my WiFi router BTW. Once I get the phone upgrade done I'll run a speed test and verify, and post, my 3G speed.

Right now I'm on dial-up and on a VERY GOOD day, when school is in session in St. Louis, I average .03 Mps down and .08 Mps up via dial-up

A friend of mine has Ooma voip right now and is very happy with it. I'd need .392 Mps up to use Ooma.

I have read in the VOIPo faqs that a constant 256 kps will get the job done with VOIPa.

BTW I remembered Gator Internet from when I lived in Houston and a couple of people at Howardforums recommended that I look into VOIPo in addition to Ooma- hence my posting here.

Once again THANKS to the folks who took the time to answer my post.

Quote Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
    I have used VOIP over a satellite internet connection with a soft phone on a PC, and it sort of works. I didn't have problems with dropped packets or audio breaking up as much as a HUGE delay due to the latency. I was getting 600-900 milliseconds latency, so when I would say "hello" the other end would hear it 2-3 seconds later. It worked but I wouldn't want to do it long.

If you get 100 to 150 milliseconds latency on your 3G connection it might be ok. You will want to check with your 3G provider to make sure VOIP traffic is allowed, because come discourage it.
    Scott I'll have to check on latency but right now I'm averaging the following Sprint 3G speeds from my HTC Touch Pro: median speeds- 1300 kbps down and 250 kbps up. I read somewhere that VOIPo needs a constant speed of at least 256 kbps upload to function properly.

Looks like I'm a little under the VOIPo minimum upload speed so my search for VOIP service continues...

Thanks once again to the people who took the time to post on my thread.