Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Included Accounts

Default Re: Included Accounts

It would be awesome if the reseller could have outbound toll free.
    iVoIP Online
    http://www.ivoiponline.net
    877-208-2049

Unfortunately we're not able to pass the toll-free number as the outbound Caller ID.

Wholesale VoIP rates are very complex. Just one of our carriers as an example has over 1,000,000 rates for outbound calls. There are a lot of things that determine what rate applies including the to/from number combination, the phone companies on both ends, etc.

If they don't get a "valid" number they can match up with a rate, the call is automatically billed at the highest US rate in the entire ratesheet with all of our carriers. This is common with VoIP due, but not with landline/physical connections.

If we pass a toll-free number as the from number, it's considered invalid and not able to be rated with a rate, so it would go to highest. The main reason is that almost all the variables with rates depend on geography and since a toll-free number is not location-based, there is no location.

With a physical connection to the phone network, there IS a location even if a non-valid number is passed so it doesn't matter.

Convoluted I know...but this is the kind of stuff I spend 99 hours a day dealing with.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Very confusing :P
    iVoIP Online
    http://www.ivoiponline.net
    877-208-2049

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    If we pass a toll-free number as the from number, it's considered invalid and not able to be rated with a rate, so it would go to highest.
    Great explanation!

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Question: Does Voip have both an ANI and a CID? It seems to be as long as the ANI is valid, it wouldn't matter what the CID is set to. But I've never been able to get a straight answer to whether ANI is even sent properly with voip services.

Quote Originally Posted by uhf View Post
    Question: Does Voip have both an ANI and a CID? It seems to be as long as the ANI is valid, it wouldn't matter what the CID is set to. But I've never been able to get a straight answer to whether ANI is even sent properly with voip services.
    Not consistently. There's almost no standardization in VoIP. Some providers use ANI, some don't. It's about 50/50 with our upstream carriers as to which ones use it. Sometimes it's even changed upstream if a carrier is routing out through a fixed line trunk in some areas.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Some providers use ANI, some don't. It's about 50/50 with our upstream carriers as to which ones use it.
    Thanks for the answer. I've never gotten a good answer to this question from other voip providers. Many of the responses were along the lines of "huh?"

Along these same lines, what about calls to a toll-free number? Are toll free providers not expecting to see an ANI, and a DNIS?

Quote Originally Posted by uhf View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I've never gotten a good answer to this question from other voip providers. Many of the responses were along the lines of "huh?"

Along these same lines, what about calls to a toll-free number? Are toll free providers not expecting to see an ANI, and a DNIS?
    It's kind of along the same lines. Eventually they do. Whether or not anything we send gets stripped out somewhere upstream varies. So ultimately the final carrier delivering the call will provide it. Whether or not the accept what we send, re-write using from number, or re-write completely with a third-party number depends on the carrier.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com