Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

Default Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

I tried unsuccessfully last Saturday to hook up a GS HT502 at my sister's house. She has 1.5Mb DSL from AT&T (switching her to 7Mb Earthlink cable soon).

The Westell (I think 6100) DSL modem has a router and firewall built-in. Eventually I figured out that I needed to set the GS to be in bridge mode, to turn it's DHCP server off, and placed it behind the Westell, and in front of her wireless router (which has DHCP turned off). The GS was still not registering. I tried live support for VOIPo and the dude told me to try and pass through traffic on the Westell to the GS. I found an IP Passthrough setting in the Westell to do this and the GS registered okay.

So I said goodbye to the support dude. Silly me, I wanted to get rid of the tangled mess of the power cords of the GS and Westell, so I unplugged them. You guessed it: when I plugged them back in, I could not get the GS to register again.

I tried all kinds of stuff, including resetting devices and turning off DHCP and the firewall in the Westell, but could not figure out the magic combination again. By this time, the support dude at VOIPo had gone home.

So, please, how should I hook this thing up?

1. Westell (Bridged Ethernet mode, with firewall off, DHCP off) ---> GS (normal mode, DHCP on, Firewall on, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ---> Wireless router (DHCP off) ?
    2. Westell (Bridged Ethernet mode, with firewall off, DHCP off) ---> GS (Bridged mode) ---> Wireless router (Normal mode, DHCP on, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ?
    3. Westell (Normal mode, with firewall on, DHCP on, IP Passthrough for the GS, enter PPPoE userid/password here) ---> GS (Bridged mode) ---> Wireless router (DHCP off) ? This is what I tried already

Frankly, I am currently thinking there is something wrong with this GS. I asked for a PAP2-NT but did not get one.

Tomorrow is Saturday and I will try all this again....Thanks
    Last edited by abward; 03-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Default Re: Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

BTW, I am trying to put the GS in front of the router because the router has no QOS. If I wanted to put it behind the router, I assume I would just put the GS into Bridged mode and plug it into a LAN port on the router, and open up the ports on the router?

Quote Originally Posted by abward View Post
    BTW, I am trying to put the GS in front of the router because the router has no QOS. If I wanted to put it behind the router, I assume I would just put the GS into Bridged mode and plug it into a LAN port on the router, and open up the ports on the router?
    If it was simply hanging off the last router I would expect it to be using DHCP and no special requirements. The only unknown in that scenario is if any firewall/filtering is happening before it even though things are theoretically turned off.

Not sure the best config. You should post your ticket # and maybe you will get a higher support tier.

The "resetting devices" is hopefully not factory reset!

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

You should be able to just hook it up behind the router with no issues. I'd recommend just setting a static IP and forwarding ports 5000-65000. Disable SIP ALG.

The reason I recommend it is the PPoE. Not a huge deal, but seems like it would just be alot less complicated to connect to route and forward ports.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    You should be able to just hook it up behind the router with no issues. I'd recommend just setting a static IP and forwarding ports 5000-65000. Disable SIP ALG.

The reason I recommend it is the PPoE. Not a huge deal, but seems like it would just be alot less complicated to connect to route and forward ports.
    Not meaning to hi-jack the thread topic, but...

We've been told in the past to forward 35000-65000 (UDP). Is the new recommendation to forward 5000-65000? Or did you miss the 3 key?

Thanks,

-Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    Not meaning to hi-jack the thread topic, but...

We've been told in the past to forward 35000-65000 (UDP). Is the new recommendation to forward 5000-65000? Or did you miss the 3 key?

Thanks,

-Craig

You're right that in the past we've told people to forward 5060-5080 and 35000-65000. We are expanding this to 5000-65000 and will be updating all documentation soon.

We've had at least a dozen users with chronic issues that all went away when expanding to this range and will be using it as standard going forward.

One of our primary CLEC partners (Bandwidth.com) recommends this range since it's what their media gateways use for audio.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Thanks, Tim!

Should 5060-5080 be TCP only, or both TCP and UDP?

-Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    Thanks, Tim!

Should 5060-5080 be TCP only, or both TCP and UDP?

-Craig
    5000-65000 UDP is our new standard.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    So, if I have this right:

Westell (normal mode, DHCP on, firewall on, forward UDP ports 5000-65000) --> wireless router (DHCP off, forward UDP ports 5000-65000, disable firewall (disables SPI)) --> GS (Bridged mode, static IP)

Quote Originally Posted by abward View Post
    So, if I have this right:

Westell (normal mode, DHCP on, firewall on, forward UDP ports 5000-65000) --> wireless router (DHCP off, forward UDP ports 5000-65000, disable firewall (disables SPI)) --> GS (Bridged mode, static IP)
    Right. You shouldn't need to do bridged modem on the GS, but it won't hurt.

That basically disables the GS router and bridges whatever you have connected to it with your other router. So it won't matter except for things connected to the Grandstream.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com