Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

Default Re: Grandstream and a Westell DSL modem

Thanks Tim. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

BTW, if you are shipping out Grandstreams now, can you please update the help pages, which are currently written for the PAP2?
    Last edited by abward; 03-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Be sure you are coming out of the wan port on the gs when you are going into the lan port on your router if you're going bridged.
    I'm sure you know this, but just a reminder..

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    5000-65000 UDP is our new standard.
    And all this time I thought 5060-5080 were TCP.

I learned something today. I can now go home.

-Craig

For what it is worth here is my setup.

AT&T Elite DSL ---> Westell DSL modem ---> Asus WL-520GU router ---> Grandstream HT502 ATA

All I have is a static IP assigned to the ATA, no ports forwarded, and running the latest Tomato firmware, no issues. I have my router doing the PPPoE, not the modem.

What about the UDP/TCP ports, do we still need to forward those?

5060-5080 TCP/UDP
    5000-65000 UDP

Or just the 5000-65000 range?

Quote Originally Posted by jlachowin View Post
    What about the UDP/TCP ports, do we still need to forward those?

5060-5080 TCP/UDP
    5000-65000 UDP

Or just the 5000-65000 range?
    That entire range UDP will cover it.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I would set the Westell modem in Bridged Ethernet mode and let the GS be the router with DHCP on. Leaving the Westell in it's default mode (router on) and having the GS route as well is going lead to unreliable results, 2 devices routing on the same segment is not what you want. Either the Westell or the GS need to be set as a bridge and in my opinion you are far better off letting the GS (or your router if you have one) do the routing and setting the Westell as the bridge (bridged ethernet). I have my GS behind my router, and it works fine, but if you are having trouble I would put the GS in front of your router and get that working first.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    You're right that in the past we've told people to forward 5060-5080 and 35000-65000. We are expanding this to 5000-65000 and will be updating all documentation soon.

We've had at least a dozen users with chronic issues that all went away when expanding to this range and will be using it as standard going forward.

One of our primary CLEC partners (Bandwidth.com) recommends this range since it's what their media gateways use for audio.
    Yep, I can vouch for that change. Seems to have made a major difference for me. I haven't had a "no audio" problem since I made the change a month or so ago <knock wood> on Tim's advice.

Damn, I probably just jinxed myself.

Well, this did not work. I tried putting it behind the router, and opening up the ports, and it will not register.

And, no one is home at the online support.

I currently have it like this:

Westell (Bridged mode, so it acts like a modem only) --> USR5461 router (DHCP on, PPPoE, firewall on, ports forwarded) --> GS (static ip, DHCP off)

Edit: Also just tried:

Westell (Bridged mode, so it acts like a modem only) --> GS (DHCP on, PPPoE) --> USR5461 router (DHCP off, firewall on)

This seems like this would be an ideal config, since I should not have to worry about port forwarding or QOS, but the GS is still not registering.

Edit 2: I opened a ticket and Cody got me going. He found that the adapter had lost its provisioning, so it did not know to connect to the VOIPo servers. He went into admin mode and entered the IP for the VOIPo servers and off it went. Thanks Cody! So, I left the adapter between the Westell and the router.
    Last edited by abward; 03-13-2010 at 02:36 PM.