Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming calls not ringing

Default Re: Incoming calls not ringing

Quote Originally Posted by 93Corvette View Post
    Here's the drawing:

Can you clarify what you mean by to home Telephone. Are you connecting it to your house wiring? If yes, was your previous provider also voip and have you done this before. Just want to be sure if your previous provider was a local landline company, you've disconnected the phone company wiring from your house wiring at your NI box.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post

If you don't get someone over the weekend, you might just try connecting the WAN port of the VOIPo adapter to one of the LAN ports of the WRTU54 to see what happens.
    I orginally had it on the WRTU54 port (#3), but it didn't work. When I called up Voipo on Friday they suggested that I move the Voipo box and put it in between the modem and router. I have had it in this configuation since.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by to home Telephone. Are you connecting it to your house wiring? If yes, was your previous provider also voip and have you done this before. Just want to be sure if your previous provider was a local landline company, you've disconnected the phone company wiring from your house wiring at your NI box.
    My previous provider was T-Mobile and it provided Voip. It used a sims card in the Linksys WRTU54-TM to set the phone line. The only reason I switched from T-Mobile is that I needed another cell phone, and they consider the "T-Mobile @ home" on of the 5 max phones I can have.

I am using my house wiring, and it has been severed from the main box on the house from the inhouse wiring. (ie there is no connection from the outside of the house to the inside). I have used a local land line (orginal type telephone connections) in 5 years. It's all Voip.

Thanks again for all the help that you guys are providing...
    Last edited by 93Corvette; 03-28-2010 at 12:23 PM.

The Answer:

This is so simple....
    Viopo assigns a temporary phone number when you get their service (example 562-123-4567). My orginal (T-mobile Voip) service has my local number (example 303-987-6543).

So, after talking to the Voipo guy this weekend, I put my Voipo between my Modem and Router (as my drawing showed previously). The Voipo guy said this works 100% of the time.

So what was the problem? It was weird. The outgoing calls on Voipo worked prefectly. When I called my cell phone is showed that I had been ported over since it displayed my orignal phone number 303-987-6543. But this wasn't the case.

What it was actually doing is my phone wasn't actually ported yet. I was actually using my new Voipo with the temporary phone number 562-123-4567. But why did it display the orginal phone number (303-987-6543) when I dialed anyone? The Voipo people can program the software to display anything they want. They can make my phone display 999-999-9999 if they wanted it to. If they did this, all people I call would see my phone number as 999-999-9999 even though I am truly using their temporary phone number of 562-123-4567. It's just giving you the feeling that you are on your orginal phone and that the phone has been ported over, when it hasn't.

So, if anyone has this problem, and your phone doesn't ring. Try dialing the temporary number Voipo assigned. If it rings now, then you are using the temporary number, and you phone hasn't been ported yet. Don't beleive the false feeling you get when seeing you orginal number 303-987-6543 displays on peoples telephones. This number is just a display number that is programmed in.

To solve this problem, call your orginal provider and have them forward all calls from your orignal phone 303-987-6543 to the temporary Voipo number 562-123-4567. When the number finally gets ported, it will be invisible, and you will never know it happened. Since it is this way, you will need to call your orginal provider to ensure your number has been ported prior to cancelling their service.

Note: Remember, when you pick-up your phone you are using the new Voipo. So you will have to either plug your phone back into your orginal providers box to set up call forwarding (to activate *72562123-4567) or you will have to call your service provider to forward it for you. Either way, you will never know your on the new Voipo once you put the forward in place since you won't know which service you are actually using. You will need to call Voipo or the orignal provider to see which service you are using.

Hope this make sense. I hope this helps someone else.

One way to check to see if the number has been ported:

Go to the VOIPo vPanel and look at call history. Incoming calls will show your temporary number before the the port, and your ported number after the port.

-Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ctaranto View Post
    One way to check to see if the number has been ported:

Go to the VOIPo vPanel and look at call history. Incoming calls will show your temporary number before the the port, and your ported number after the port.

-Craig
    Just to help people, to get to vPanel goto https://secure.voipo.com

The Answer:

This is so simple....
    Viopo assigns a temporary phone number when you get their service (example 562-123-4567). My orginal (T-mobile Voip) service has my local number (example 303-987-6543).

[nice explanation snipped]

Hope this make sense. I hope this helps someone else.
    Excellent information for the newbie (someone who has never experienced voip before or has had voip before but has made no attempt to understand the porting / call forwarding / caller-id spoofing process ) :-).
    Russell

One thing I see- Your Actiontec itself is also a router. Not sure if anyone mentioned that or not. Unless its in bridge mode (and it would not be by default) it itself is also providing NAT. I didn't see any reference to this in the above posts but may have just missed it...

Unfortunately it is not a very good router. Although that model worked well with voip in general for us. If you do to much port forwarding with them they tend to lock up and have other issues.

Just so your aware.

Its lan address by default is 192.168.0.1 ( http://192.168.0.1 ) .

Fact is that it is very difficult now a days to find a dsl modem without a built in router. Although most can be put in bridge mode but then your first device behind it has to provide a pppoe, pppoa login or be correctly configured for any static address you may have with your ISP.
    Last edited by chpalmer; 03-30-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    I Void Warranties.

Being a newbie to all this stuff, I truly don't know what your saying. I beleive what your saying is I need to call Voipo and have them walk me through how to make the Actiontec into a Bridge mode? Correct?

Then it scares me about "Although most can be put in bridge mode but then your first device behind it has to provide a pppoe, pppoa login or be correctly configured for any static address you may have with your ISP".

So, do I not mess with something that appears to be working? or do I have them explain how to fix this?

You guys are the experts.... I'm just a consumer that doesn't know this subject....Tell me how you think I should proceed...

Being a newbie to all this stuff, I truly don't know what your saying. I beleive what your saying is I need to call Voipo and have them walk me through how to make the Actiontec into a Bridge mode? Correct?

Then it scares me about "Although most can be put in bridge mode but then your first device behind it has to provide a pppoe, pppoa login or be correctly configured for any static address you may have with your ISP".

So, do I not mess with something that appears to be working? or do I have them explain how to fix this?

You guys are the experts.... I'm just a consumer that doesn't know this subject....Tell me how you think I should proceed...
    Don't worry...just contact support and they'll be able to help you.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook