Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming calls not ringing

Default Incoming calls not ringing

Why is it that no one make instructions for the basic public (non computer geeks)? Attached are the instruction that are given when you order your Voipo. Now, why doesn't people write these so their Mom, Dad, or Grandparents can do it? These instruction make it look like everyone could write a script.

The problem I'm having: I do not receive ringing for incoming calls. According to this troubleshooting guide, it says I need to do these steps. Although it doesn't say, I'm assuming that I need to log into my Voipo box to set a IP address. However I don't know how. I am using Windows 7.

What I need is a step by step instructions that tells me how. Something like:
    1. Open Windows Start menu.
    2. Open Control Panel.
    3. etc.......

Can anyone help?

Last edited by 93Corvette; 03-26-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Default Re: Incoming calls not ringing

The reason they can't give generic instructions is that they are asking you to modify the configuration of your router (among other things). A customer might use any one of dozens of different routers, each of which would need different instructions to modify its configuration. They expressly tell you to work with customer support on this, since that is the most efficient way to tailor the instructions to your particular situation.

Also, if you have a certain level of technical expertise the instructions make sense; if not, it's probably best to get support to help.
    Russell

One of the things I (and support) found out is if you have specialized rings on the Grandstream, one of them (5 maybe) is silent, and does not ring the phone. I just had swapped out my Linksys because of repeated problems, and this ring is what I used for my wife and my cellphone so my kids would know it was "safe" to pick up the call.

When I was testing with the new TA, it would never ring. Took support quite a while to figure out the issue.

Don't know that this is your issue, just throwing it out there.

I actually called support yesterday (Friday) for help. However, I was at work so I could do anything except for what he said, which was:
    1. Plug the DSL modem into the Wan side of the Voipo.
    2. Plug the Lan side of the Voipo into the Router.

The guy told me to call the 1-877-VOIPo number today )Saturday), and someone might be there. I did, but no ones there. So I bet I have to wait until Monday.

Lastly, per the:
    "A customer might use any one of dozens of different routers, each of which would need different instructions to modify its configuration. They expressly tell you to work with customer support on this, since that is the most efficient way to tailor the instructions to your particular situation."

What doesn't make sense to me is why would they even add the instructions inside the box if they truly don't want you to do it?

My thought is this: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". If someone else that "might" have the same router as me comes to this forum and sees what I did to correct my problem, maybe that person wouldn't have to go a weekend with out there phone. By this I'm saying, as you correct peoples problems, then add them to the list. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I think of this whole process like programming a TV remote control. There are thousand of brands of TV's, but most of the basic step remain the same (in fact, most of the steps are exactly the same). Of course, I'm not a computer nerd, so I'm not sure if that analogy is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 93Corvette View Post
    I actually called support yesterday (Friday) for help. However, I was at work so I could do anything except for what he said, which was:
    Yes, that's the first thing to try - plug the VOIPo device into your modem and see if all is well. I'd just try step 1 and see if you can make and receive calls after. Of course, after you do step 1, you'd first turn on the power to the modem and then the VOIPo device (once the modem is up and running). I would not even worry about step 2 while testing out phone service.
    Russell

If your VOIPo adapter is already in front of the router (above configuration: modem -> VOIPo WAN; VOIPo LAN -> Your Router/PC), then there would be no need to open any ports on your router.

I think you're not getting the help from the forum by beginning with others things about the lack of instructions from VOIPo. However, if you just ask the questions, members would try to help when VOIPo support can't. Not defending VOIPo, but just about every provider do the same wrt to customer router configuration: none. That said, I have had successes with support ticket even over weekends.

What doesn't make sense to me is why would they even add the instructions inside the box if they truly don't want you to do it?
    The printed instructions on that sheet refer to opening ports on your router, not on the VOIPo adapter. Many people have their adapter behind their router, and it often helps to open ports on the router so that traffic can reach the adapter. If that's something you don't know how to do, you need to let a support rep help you.

I agree, however, that if you are putting the adapter in front of your router (I couldn't really make out the diagram), the instruction to forward ports doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by _lost
    I think you're not getting the help from the forum by beginning with others things about the lack of instructions from VOIPo. However, if you just ask the questions, members would try to help when VOIPo support can't. Not defending VOIPo, but just about every provider do the same wrt to customer router configuration: none. That said, I have had successes with support ticket even over weekends.
    Sorry about coming across as digruntled person. I'm not angry at Voipo at all. I know they are just starting out and do not have 24x7 coverage yet. With everything new, things need to be worked to get the bugs out. I am totally for making instructions as simple as possible. I was just pointing that out that I truly think the instructions could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    The printed instructions on that sheet refer to opening ports on your router, not on the VOIPo adapter. Many people have their adapter behind their router, and it often helps to open ports on the router so that traffic can reach the adapter. If that's something you don't know how to do, you need to let a support rep help you.

I agree, however, that if you are putting the adapter in front of your router (I couldn't really make out the diagram), the instruction to forward ports doesn't apply.

This is a drawing I did for my current layout. As you can see, my telephone is connect into the Voipo box. It's not connected to either the Modem or Router. So if "the instruction to forward ports doesn't apply", then is my Voipo box faulty? Here's the drawing:

Last edited by 93Corvette; 03-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.

"Forwarding ports" means setting up a router so that packets sent from the internet to your IP address at any of the forwarded ports will reach your VOIPo adapter, assuming that your router is between the internet and your VOIPo adapter. If you don't have a router between the internet and your VOIPo adapter, there is nothing to forward.

If I'm not mistaken, all three of the devices in your diagram can serve as routers. You don't need to forward any ports on the router portion of your VOIPo adapter, because it knows what to do with the SIP packets when it receives them. You don't need to forward any ports on your WRTU54, because it is not between the internet and your VOIPo adapter. However, if your Actiontec DSL modem is set up as a router (as well as a DSL modem), and if it is performing Network Address Translation (NAT) for multiple devices on your network, then you may need to forward ports, because packets may not be getting to their proper destination.

However, there are many variables. How is the Actiontec set up? Is it in bridge mode? Does it perform the PPPoE login? Does it handle DHCP? These are things that a support rep can walk you through in order to figure the right way to set it up.

If you don't get someone over the weekend, you might just try connecting the WAN port of the VOIPo adapter to one of the LAN ports of the WRTU54 to see what happens.