Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Calls intermittently going directly to voicemail

Default Re: Calls intermittently going directly to voicemail

Thanks Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Cool. How about people w/multiple VOIPo adapters?

Also, would it be simpler just to put the device in the router's DMZ?
    Putting the device in the router's DMZ will prevent the router from blocking the ports. The biggest problem, however, is not that the router is blocking the ports, but that the router doesn't know what port to send the packet to, so the packet gets lost, not blocked.

I am not an expert on SIP protocol, but I thought it was part of the SIP call setup for the adapter and the server to determine what RTP port would be used, at least initially. Why doesn't this apply even when VOIPo does not proxy its own audio?

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    Putting the device in the router's DMZ will prevent the router from blocking the ports. The biggest problem, however, is not that the router is blocking the ports, but that the router doesn't know what port to send the packet to, so the packet gets lost, not blocked.

I am not an expert on SIP protocol, but I thought it was part of the SIP call setup for the adapter and the server to determine what RTP port would be used, at least initially. Why doesn't this apply even when VOIPo does not proxy its own audio?
    I'm not sure of the specifics, but all I know is that most newer routers handle the traffic incorrectly and in our logs we see it blocked at the router when people report those issues. Old routers handle it perfectly fine. New ones try to do all this crazy stuff and analyze/rewrite/direct every single packet and do it incorrectly most of the time.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I'll see what I can find on U-Verse. I don't know it off the top of my head, but will ask some of our guys Monday.
    Any news on this, Tim?
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Yeah we are hearing this a lot not. One thing about your situation too is that you had A LOT of VOIPo problems with multiple routers to the point that you were ready to cancel even though you had the smaller range 5060-5080 and 35000-65000 forwarded, but the full range resolved them all.

We've had quite a few cases of this were that range solved everything and it's the range our CLEC partners recommend, so we're just going with what works so people can get the quickest resolution possible.
    I may try going back to my "official" Fios Actiontec router with the proper ports opened and see if the problem recurrs again. Never tried it that way. As much as I like the Buffalo/DD-WRT better I'd have to use the Actiontec if I eventually want to switch to Fios TV (currently I use DirecTV).

I finally broke down and put the forwarding in place. I'm not convinced this will fix the specific issue I'm having (a specific number gets VM more than not when calling me - calls don't go to failover, but straight to VM), but it's worth a try. I'm running DD-WRT, which I didn't think was impacted as much as some other routers by this bug. The strange thing is this has only started happening in the last 2 weeks or so. I put a ticket in to see i there's anything odd with the last call where this happened, so we'll see, I guess.

True, I have those ports forwarded, but still get fast busy intermittently. My VOIPo VM is turned off, because GV forwards to my VOIPo number. During the past week, I'd get GV SMS/email VM notification while my VOIPo phone never rang. I would immediately check by calling my VOIPo number from my cell and get the fast busy.

It's hard to file a ticket on this, because no call log shows up, and the problem is intermittent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I finally broke down and put the [port] forwarding ... I'm running DD-WRT ...
    What ISP and router? What DOCSIS level?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    What ISP and router? What DOCSIS level?
    Comcast, Buffalo WHR-G125, I believe (not at home to check), DD-WRT, not sure the version off the top of my head but one of the more recent releases.

DOCSIS, not sure, but it's not v3 yet. On a 16/2 link, and that's one of the faster tiers available.

Have you tried running PingPlotter on the voipwelcome server that you're configured to use? Getting a history the connectivity between you, the ISP, and VOIPo may point to something.

If you're interested, set the check interval to 2.5 seconds and let it run for a few days.
    Comcast -> SB6120 -> WRT54GL (Tomato 1.27) -> PAP2T
    Tomato settings: Ports Fowarded: 5000-65000 UDP, UDP Unreplied Timeout: 10, UDP Assured Timeout: 300, QoS Enabled, Static DHCP to PAP2T MAC address