Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Voipo on Uverse with new Firmware

Default Re: Voipo on Uverse with new Firmware

I wanted to quickly post that I have Uverse (1.5up and 12down) and have made 0 changes to the RG. I have had one line with voipo for over a year and recently switched my house line when uverse went to $35 a month. I have not needed to make port changes or anything with QOS. The PAP2 (Linksys) hangs directly off the RG. In fact, I can download at full speed and still make two voice calls with no issues.

My RG recently got a firmware update as well.

Just to give an update.

I received a new Linksys ATA from Voipo which is working.
    I have made all the changes in my Uverse router to forward the ports requested.

But I am still having issues. Some callers are complaining they are getting a disconnection message sometimes. Sometimes the phone will ring and we'll see CID, pick up the phone and it will then be dead air and the failover phone (cell) will ring. Some callers are saying the voice quality is horrible. Still having random beeps on other side as well.
    Still not happy with this service that I paid 1 year in advance for and probably can't cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdntblu View Post
    Just to give an update.

I received a new Linksys ATA from Voipo which is working.
    I have made all the changes in my Uverse router to forward the ports requested.

But I am still having issues. Some callers are complaining they are getting a disconnection message sometimes. Sometimes the phone will ring and we'll see CID, pick up the phone and it will then be dead air and the failover phone (cell) will ring. Some callers are saying the voice quality is horrible. Still having random beeps on other side as well.
    Still not happy with this service that I paid 1 year in advance for and probably can't cancel it.
    With Uverse, you also need to disable SIP ALG. They intercept all the SIP (VoIP) traffic by default with this.

You should be able to go to http://192.168.1.254/mdc or http://gateway.2wire.net/management and click on "Configure Services" and then uncheck SIP ALG and reboot.

If that doesn't solve it for you and you're still having issues, it may just be some kind of underlying compatibility issue between your setup and VOIPo or a bad connection between us somewhere.

If you decide to cancel and are outside of the 30 day window, you can still do so and we'll issue a prorated refund as if you were a monthly customer. So if you used the service for 2 months, we'd just deduct the cost of 2 months of service at the monthly rate from any refund due. You'd also need to return the VOIPo adapter in order to cancel.

We always hate to lose a customer, but if you're having that many problems, there is something going on. Less than 2% of our customers have ever even contacted support so most have no problems at all but the ones that do have trouble typically have ongoing issues.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 05-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I don't have a setting for SIP ALG in my 2wire setup. Does that mean my SIP traffic isn't being blocked or just that I can't find the setting?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    With Uverse, you also need to disable SIP ALG. They intercept all the SIP (VoIP) traffic by default with this.

You should be able to go to http://192.168.1.254/mdc or http://gateway.2wire.net/management and click on "Configure Services" and then uncheck SIP ALG and reboot.
    Tim, UVerse has been upgrading their firmware. Neither of your links work for the new firmware and I've not been able to find the SIP ALG setting (if it exists) for the new firmware. If you look at http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2333, I'd asked if anyone knew how to do what you're describing for the new firmware and got no answer. I'm sure it'll be beneficial to your support staff (for their UVerse cheatsheat) and us if someone in your company who has UVerse (Brandon?) can get to the bottom of this.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Tim, UVerse has been upgrading their firmware. Neither of your links work for the new firmware and I've not been able to find the SIP ALG setting (if it exists) for the new firmware. If you look at http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2333, I'd asked if anyone knew how to do what you're describing for the new firmware and got no answer. I'm sure it'll be beneficial to your support staff (for their UVerse cheatsheat) and us if someone in your company who has UVerse (Brandon?) can get to the bottom of this.
    We'll see what we can find.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Tim,

As APOSNER and RUSSELL have said above, we all have the new firmware (which is what is stated in the post subject) and we don't have access to those features. I can't understand why everything else on my internet works fine and I have this issue with your service. I had Packet 8 back 5 years ago with a slow 1.5mb DSL 2wire modem and it worked great. Now 5 years later I have a ultra high speed connection and I can't even get phone service to work correctly.

My wife was talking with her sister tonight and her grandma on 2 separate calls and sometimes she can't hear them, sometimes they can't hear her. It's just not working very well. I don't get it to be honest with you.

Thanks for the information on canceling. I really don't want to cancel because I like the price compared to paying AT&T $35/month for the same thing but at least theirs worked fine and I didn't have any issues.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by mdntblu View Post
    I can't understand why everything else on my internet works fine and I have this issue with your service. I had Packet 8 back 5 years ago with a slow 1.5mb DSL 2wire modem and it worked great. Now 5 years later I have a ultra high speed connection and I can't even get phone service to work correctly.
    Unfortunately if the AT&T router is blocking the traffic, there's nothing we can possibly do on our end to force it through. It's going to have to be fixed on their router. The only option we have is to continue to try to get information from AT&T as to where they've hidden the controls for it. As of right now, we've not been able to get details from them.

With the SIP ALG feature that we're trying to disable, the AT&T router intercepts 100% of the VoIP traffic we send to you, analyzes it and rewrites it the way it thinks it should be. Unfortunately since all VoIP providers have very different networks, it doesn't rewrite it correctly most of the time.

So what happens is that it may get the first part of the call right

We're going to continue to try to figure out where they have hidden this functionality. ISPs rarely cooperate with VoIP providers since they have competing services and their routers often make it hard to optimize things for another VoIP service since it could cause their own VoIP servie not to work as well.

Routers are 100% without a doubt the biggest hurdle for VoIP customers today. It's not so much about having a reliable internet connection...it's more about having a router that does not mess with the traffic.

We're going to try to reach out through another means to AT&T and see if we can get anywhere that route to find out what they've changed.

BTW, do you have a ticket number for your issues? If so, please post it so we can identify your account. We may be able to look at trying a different device model to see if it works better with your setup.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 05-17-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Brad,

I have U-verse Internet service and have a Linksys PAP2T from VOIPo. Although I'm a very light phone user I haven't had any service issues. I have the PAP2T configured in the U-verse residential gateway in DMZplus mode. I chose to use the DMZplus instead of forwarding ports because I didn't want to take the chance that something could be blocked by the firewall. When the PAP2T requests a DHCP IP address, the residential gateway will provide it with its public IP address and any traffic not destined for another system on your network will go to the PAP2T. I have no idea if this bypasses the SIP ALG feature but it seems to work fine for me. If you haven't tried it yet already you may want to give it a shot. Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes and DMZ -> Click the LinksysPAP in the Select a computer section -> Click the button for Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) -> Save. After the settings are applied, reboot your VOIPo adapter so it can update its IP address.

Jim

The problem with me putting my Linksys PAP2T in DMZ Plus means I can't remote desktop into my computer which I do very often. Cause it will make it so all ports are routed to the Linksys PAP2T. This is not necessary for it to work. I have the ports opened that they specified. I also have another piece of hardware on my network that I remote into on a different port which I wouldn't be able to do anymore either.
    This is not the solution because it limits me from everything else. I also might be getting a security camera solution which allows me to remotely view from the web and I won't be able to do that either with the Linksys PAP2T in DMZ Plus mode.