Thread: SipDroid

Default SipDroid

Anyone use SipDroid? I can't seem to make VOIPo calls with it, and am looking for some wisdom. Or, if you know of another android softphone solution, I'd love to hear it!

Default Re: SipDroid

I've been experimenting lately with SipDroid on my HTC eris. I was able to make calls with it, but it was hit and miss. I used the same settings that are in my linksys adapter. server, user name, password, port, etc... One thing I found was that I had to unplug the "Normal" linksys adapter, because having BOTH it and the SipDroid registered to VoipO really caused headaches. But using just the SipDroid and not the traditional linksys, I was able to make a call. It wasn't the best quality. Mind you, I've only played with SipDroid for a total of about 1 hour. So I haven't really mastered anything on it. The first thing I will probably experiment with is the codex settings in SipDroid. My objective would be to find a codex that VoipO likes, that I can FORCE instead of letting SipDroid go for "best" quality. Most times, that's a big problem. i.e. on some of my voip PBX's that I use at work, where I have control circuits tieing the remote gateways together with DSL or other ATM style connections, I've found that forcing g.729 on it, instead of g.711, has made the calls better. Slightly lower quality, but most people can't tell the difference unless you have side by side comparisons. Anyway, I plan on doing that with sipdroid.

Doing this on an Android phone definitely has some uses. My son just came back from 3 weeks in England. Verizon cell doesn't work there, but he used his Eris Android phone in WIFI mode to get on the internet to email us and even IM once in a while. Had I had SipDroid working reliably by then, he could have used it to call us. Also, there's quite a few places in the boonies where we live that a stay in a hotel will have wireless internet, but no cell service. Obviously there will never be a large market for this use, but it has some advantages.

Skype has an app for the android, but it's not very practical. I believe it only allows calling overseas and other skype numbers. In other words, if you tried to call a traditional USA number, it would go to cell service considering most cell companies don't charge long distance. Plus, that's the arrangement they have with the cell company. And being I don't call overseas, and I don't know people on skype, it's pretty useless to me. My only use for a sip caller on a cell phone, like sipdroid that works ONLY when on wifi connections, is because I truly do live in the BOONIES where cell phone coverage is not always that great. But dsl and cable broadband has been brought to quite a few hotels and such where there is no cell coverage. That would provide be an additional option. But for the average person, who has cell coverage most everywhere they might be, a product like Sipdroid is pretty silly. Unless you call overseas a lot. Most people don't have a "Minutes" problem on their cell plan that would make using sip on cell phone; over WIFI; very appealing. later... mike....
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

I tried briefly few weeks back and noticed that SipDroid created multiple registrations in the Devices page. About 4 of them. Also, it has the default registration interval of 1 hour. So, these registration don't go away quickly.. So, I uninstalled it and didn't want to cause issues with my home phone service.

I didn't even try to make calls with SipDroid. So, not sure how the quality is.

Hey, guys - I have since found a setup that works well with SipDroid - it involves setting up a free account at pbxes.org, then setting up a trunk to my VOIPo account. After researching SipDroid on the internet, it seems that it works best with pbxes. If you're interested in giving it a try, let me know, and I'll do a write-up on how to set it up! I can have both my ATA and SipDroid connected at the same time with no problems, and the call quality is great.

BTW, the android device I'm using isn't a phone - it's an Archos 5 Internet Tablet. It's cool to be able to make calls in a McD's wifi hotspot!

Brody, I tried Sipdroid with less than good success,,,if you could explain your pbx.org setup it would be much appreciated.

Hi, lhortt! Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply - I've been out of town. Check out this app, available for free in the Google Marketplace: 3CXPhone. It seems to play nice with VOIPo, and the calls are of good quality.

The problem, I've discovered, with SipDroid, is that it doesn't have the G.711 codec available, which VOIPo uses. Proxying through pbxes seems to solve that problem, but the 3CX has G.711 support, so it's a moot point. I really like the 3CX over SipDroid anyway - it seems to be a really well written app. They also make a windows version which works well with VOIPo too. Let me know how it works for ya!

Brody, I installed 3CX, setup my profile as follows:
    User: my VOIPo #
    Password: my VOIPo provided softphone pw
    Internal Server: sip.voipwelcome.com
    left all other setting at their default settings but doesn't want to register...getting "Not registered"
    Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    THANKS

Move the sip.voipwelcome.com to external server, and give it another go...

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    Hi, lhortt! Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply - I've been out of town. Check out this app, available for free in the Google Marketplace: 3CXPhone. It seems to play nice with VOIPo, and the calls are of good quality.

Thanks for posting that! I loaded it yesterday and it works great. I tried it with voip.ms, but not with VOIPo yet.