Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UVerse with VOIPo

Default UVerse with VOIPo

I imagine you save a little with VOIPo,
    but why would you get UVerse in the first place.

I comparison shopped before going back to Comcast.

COMCAST ~ $100 for 12 months with all fees and taxes

• (2)DVR
    • (1)regular Converter
    • 200 Cable Channels, many HD
    • HBO
    • Internet 8/2 upgrading to 16/2 in a couple months for the same price.

UVerse ~ similar would be $92 for 3 months, $104 next 3 months, $119 after that.
    Add $10 (is it for each HD TV?)
    Add if HBO were included.

• I only see 6 month deals for UVerse
    • I see "2 non-DVR receivers included for 3 months"
    • Anybody stay past 6 months?
    • How bad is your bill?

My daughter is thinking about getting UVerse.

Are those with it happy?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Default Re: UVerse with VOIPo

Neighbor ordered Uverse. AT&T goons worked inside house for two days, pulling wire, undoing existing Time Warner cables. Then they pronounced that the signal from the crummy copper pair (U-Verse uses old copper wire), was too weak. Copper wire route was underground to the U-Verses VRAD and thus much longer than as-the-crow-flies. Duuu. They abandoned the job. Neighbor was left in a lurch to revert to Time Warner withoout high costs.

Just remember: they are trying to cram 30Mbps or so on old copper wire to your house, versus cable or FIOS (Verizon) which has hundreds of megabits or more of capacity.

AT&T (SBC renamed) is an absolutely unethical, dishonest, pack of liars. I suffer them in my POTS phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by stevech View Post
    Neighbor ordered Uverse. AT&T goons worked inside house for two days, pulling wire, undoing existing Time Warner cables. Then they pronounced that the signal from the crummy copper pair (U-Verse uses old copper wire), was too weak. Copper wire route was underground to the U-Verses VRAD and thus much longer than as-the-crow-flies. Duuu. They abandoned the job. Neighbor was left in a lurch to revert to Time Warner withoout high costs.

Just remember: they are trying to cram 30Mbps or so on old copper wire to your house, versus cable or FIOS (Verizon) which has hundreds of megabits or more of capacity.

AT&T (SBC renamed) is an absolutely unethical, dishonest, pack of liars. I suffer them in my POTS phone service.
    I switched from TW to UVerse. When the UVerse guys came I told them to leave my TW service alone. My UVerse guys were professional. The very first thing they did was measure the signal at the NIC to make sure it was adequate. They worked with me so I had both services - I let TW go only some days later when I was convinced that UVerse was what I wanted. I have nothing but praise in my dealings with AT&T. And, no I don't work (or have ever worked) for them.
    Russell

Jim,

To answer your question... I would very likely order Uverse if I could. Chief among the reasons is that I don't have Comcast, but TWC. My internet options are 7M/384k or 10M/512k. As for channel lineup, I haven't compared, but my in-laws are pretty happy with their uverse service. Whole home DVR service on Uverse, but not TWC. When I did the price comparison, they netted out close, but with a much better service level on AT&T.

Of course, AT&T hasn't yet bothered themselves to install a VRAD in my neighborhood...

Beware AT&T business practices. In addition to my neighbor's experience (above).. here's my most recent flap with them on POTS service..
    Our street address is four words long. The last word is they only one that makes it unique.
    After years, AT&T changed their computer and truncated the last word.
    No bill arrived - USPS may have returned it to AT&T as undeliverable.
    I called AT&T. Explained politely and asked for a re-mailing to the correct address, and a correction in the computers. OK. Promised.
    Two weeks go by. No bill. We paid what the web site showed, which now shows late-pay penalties.
    Called again. Explained history. Rep says address not corrected in computer. I asked for another mailing of a bill. Rep says there will be a charge for that. I said: It's AT&T's error, not mine. Rep says well, that's our policy.
    Another week, no bill. Called again. Rep says they will enter the request for correction.
    Still no bill.

Incompetent. Indifferent. Arrogant.
    Thanks to our government not enforcing fairness to CLECs post-deregulation, I have no alternative for POTS. We will always (?) have wired POTS due to 911.

Meanwhile their "Other" computer mailed a warning of disconnect due to non-payment to the CORRECT address. Rep says ignore it.
    Last edited by stevech; 06-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks for the replies

$100 has been my price point, but I guess people will pay more when lacking good alternatives. The 4 tuner, watch from any converter box, is a good pitch ... just not for the prices I've seen.

My current address keeps me from UVerse even if I wanted it. At least I have two competing cable companies. Just worried my daughter will find the prices higher than the adds. At least it seems to can quit it without penalty that I could find.

I was looking for something like quitting during the 6 month promotion would void the $15 monthly discount, and the extra converter fees, but it looks like that is not the case. (Can't be too careful!)

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I've been with U-verse since mid-April 2009. My only other option is Insight cable. The pricing is comparable with U-verse being slightly ($10 - $20) higher. The ability to record 4 shows at once on one DVR and the whole-home DVR features have kept me. (Although I only get 1 HD stream at a time because I'm too far from the VRAD.) I have never had promotional or discounted service (but did receive a $200 rebate during sign up) so my cost per month has remained the same.

To break it down for you...

• U-200 TV service: $67.00 (They also offer a U-100 package with less channels (lower cost) and a U-300 and U-450 package that offer more/premium channels for an additional cost.)
    • HD service fee: $10.00 (optional)
    • 1 DVR: free
    • 2 additional set-top boxes: $14.00 ($7.00 each) (You cannot watch TV without a set-top box like you can with analog cable.)
    • Elite (6Mb d/1Mb u) Internet: $35.00

Total: $126.00 (+ $6.24 in taxes fees in my area)
    Last edited by JimDog; 06-07-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added info about other option.

I guess that is not too bad a price. Was wondering the cost of the extra converters. -- Thanks!

Does the $10 let the other converters display HD too?
    Or would it be $30 for all three on HD?

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    I guess that is not too bad a price. Was wondering the cost of the extra converters. -- Thanks!

Does the $10 let the other converters display HD too?
    Or would it be $30 for all three on HD?
    Btw, there's an excellent UVerse forum on dslreports :-).
    Russell

True, but in this world of bundles, I was looking for a take on an a-la-cart VoIP demographic

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!