Thread: Taxes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Taxes

Unfortunately we can't provide any legal or accounting advice due to liability reasons, sorry.

There are just too many variables (type of services offered, location, how stuff is structured accounting wise, etc) and if we started offering advice, we'd expose ourselves to a lot of liability if there is incorrect info based on something in someone's individual situation, etc.

There are still a lot of grey areas in VoIP taxation in general for ALL providers so it's not a simple cut and dry thing. Many states haven't decided if they consider it to be an internet service or a telecommunications service yet.

In general, I'll say that I personally would not be too worried about it until you start seeing revenue and reach a good size. In nearly all cases, there are even exemptions until you reach a certain amount of revenue. I'd focus on getting your business setup and ready to go and then meet with your accountant and advisors once you get some revenue coming in. A lot of people get wrapped up in the details like this and never get off the ground.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 07-11-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook