Thread: Unblocking while continuing call without hanging up to unblock... a feature some use.

Exclamation Unblocking while continuing call without hanging up to unblock... a feature some use.

I currently have my phone set to not accept blocked calls. VOIPO has it set to use the default message: hang up and dial *82 and redial the phone number.

However, I remember years ago, there was a similar system (with a traditional phone provider), but instead of hanging up, you were allowed to dial, I think "2" and continue with the call with your caller ID blocked.

Anybody else remember getting this "alternative" message? To me, it's much more convenient for the caller since they can unblock for the current call and not hang up.

I unfortunately cannot remember the exact details.

Anyway, I would much prefer this as opposed to the standard hanging up and redialing. It seems to me that more providers should do the "press 2 to unblock your call for this call only" (paraphrasing from memory).

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about!

Default Re: Unblocking while continuing call without hanging up to unblock... a feature some

When I was with voicepulse, several years ago, that was how it was structured.
    Caller had the option to input the number. The disadvantage to that approach is that, ANY number would send the call through. Easy spoofing.

Default Re: Unblocking while continuing call without hanging up to unblock... a feature some

Actually, what I was referring to was a bit different: you literally just pressed one key to unblock your number for the current call... so there was no hanging up required.

Quote Originally Posted by voipoh View Post
    When I was with voicepulse, several years ago, that was how it was structured.
    Caller had the option to input the number. The disadvantage to that approach is that, ANY number would send the call through. Easy spoofing.
    I also had VoicePulse, and actually liked this feature. I never, in the 3 or so years I used them, had someone "spoof" the caller id to get through. What it does block is telemarketers who don't send caller ID info - they usually don't have a keypad to type anything in on.

So far with VOIPo (since Feb '10), I also haven't had an unwanted telemarketer call (at least one where I didn't purchase something that allows a call by law). And I don't have private callers blocked.

I'm not sure VOIPo has the ability to change someone's incoming caller id that is blocked by default. Good question for Tim or one of the engineers.

-Craig
    Comcast -> SB6120 -> WRT54GL (Tomato 1.27) -> PAP2T
    Tomato settings: Ports Fowarded: 5000-65000 UDP, UDP Unreplied Timeout: 10, UDP Assured Timeout: 300, QoS Enabled, Static DHCP to PAP2T MAC address