Thread: Porting From Comcast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Porting From Comcast

Man, those guys don't go down easy.

When I ported my number from AT&T to Comcast everything was taken care of in about a week. No trouble. But eventually Comcast upgraded my Internet service to where I was comfortable not using their phone service. (Doh! Someone in Marketing better figure that out.)

So on October 19 I filed to have my number ported to VOIPo. By the next day VOIPo had sent me an e-mail detailing what would happen and suggested it might take 10 to 14 days for Comcast to port the number.

I've got a lot going on and didn't really pay attention - till all of a sudden it was three weeks later and still no port. I gave it a couple more days and finally decided I'd ask VOIPo if the could shed some light on the delay. But before I hit the [Send] button, VOIPo sent me an e-mail saying Comcast will port the number on Tuesday, November 16. Nearly a month after I filed!

Then, to add insult to injury, Comcast disabled their on-line phone management tool (which sucked anyway) last Friday. So, from Friday till tomorrow (the 16th) we're getting all those "charity" robo-calls that we had blocked.

It's like they are saying, "You're not a customer anymore, so we don't care". Only I am a customer because I kept Comcast cable and Internet. I guess it's just like that when you've got a big corporation divided into big divisions that try to look homogeneous but aren't.

Anyway, (hopefully) tomorrow I'll be rid of Comcast phone service and the $40 a month it was costing me for two lines.

Default Re: Porting From Comcast

I feel your pain. I had the same exact problem with them a couple months ago. Comcast is a b*tch (excuse my un-lady like language) to port.

I'm in the same boat. 3 weeks to the day right now since Voipo received my authorization to port over from Comcast and no ETA in sight. This post gives me some hope that it will be soon though...

When AT&T did a very unwarranted/bad thing to me, I filed a formal complaint with the PUC and referenced that in a complaint with the BBB office in AT&T's corporate HQ city.

AT&T was all over me to do something to neutralize the PUC complaint. It affects their score in negotiating new regulated fees, and in other ways.

COMCAST is quasi-regulated in your county or city.

Thanks for the reply. If something doesn't happen soon, I guess I'll contact someone at Voipo and see what I can do on my end to push things along. It's obviously frustrating getting nothing for what I paid for from Voipo while still paying astronomical monthly fees for CDV!

Unfortunatley Voip providers do not have to follow the same guidelines as normal phone companies when it comes to number porting. So it can take much longer to port a number.