Thread: China banning VOIP, VOIPo effected?

Unhappy China banning VOIP, VOIPo effected?

As someone who regularly calls China i'm concerned how this will effect me, if at all. I know it's hard to tell as it seems China isn't communicating to specific service providers with details, but is there anything VOIPo can say about this?

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/9...0/7246526.html

Default Re: China banning VOIP, VOIPo effected?

As of right now, nothing has been communicated to us from any of our international calling vendors.

I believe this is primarily for people using VoIP from within China, but can't be 100% because it's a complex issue that still is being ironed out.

It's possible that it may eventually affect rates to China, but at this point nothing has changed yet.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Many countries over seas such as China are blocking the voip ports as they have laws that require all communication to go through their companies for one reason or another that is why you see issues many time. The easiest way around this is to have a client to site or site to site vpn with either a provider or your own server located in a country that does not block voip.

This is usually not a inbound call issue as china would not really know if your call is voip or not as you most likely are begin terminated over a ptsn at the far end before the final leap unless you are doing sip calling.

On-going discussion on DSLR:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r252...hina-bans-VoIP

The latest news post from PX Eliezer seems to clear up some of the confusion on the VOIP crackdown. I agree with genxweb....incoming China calls is likely to be unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by genxweb View Post
    Many countries over seas such as China are blocking the voip ports as they have laws that require all communication to go through their companies for one reason or another that is why you see issues many time. The easiest way around this is to have a client to site or site to site vpn with either a provider or your own server located in a country that does not block voip.

This is usually not a inbound call issue as china would not really know if your call is voip or not as you most likely are begin terminated over a ptsn at the far end before the final leap unless you are doing sip calling.
    This is completely possible to encapsulate the network traffic -- however does not void the legalities of it in the nation itself. There are plenty of countries with similar laws and offenders are prosecuted pretty harshly. Just look into some of the cases where parties have setup VoIP to GSM gateways using local wireless providers / SIM cards to transport traffic.

This is also a reason why some international routes can be night and day operations as far as allowing traffic to pass through said gateway.

Just my 2 cents .