Thread: SIP and additional BYOD on same number?

Default SIP and additional BYOD on same number?

I have been using VOIPo as my main home line since quite some time now and have to travel often now due to work.... A couple of questions as I am not sure how/what is legal or not and what works....

1. Can I have a simultaneous SIP setup of my VOIPo number on my laptop? Simultaneous = keep adapter working at home, but also have the same number on softphone. Obviously, only 1 will be used per call and not both together.

2. Can I setup another BYOD adapter with same number and carry with me, again, leaving original setup at home and only using 1 per call. Family is at home and I want them to be able to use the phone whenever they want to.... and when carrying with me internationally, I can hookup and be able to make/receive calls?

Default Re: SIP and additional BYOD on same number?

The answer is yes, as long as you have reasonable Residential usage patterns. The average user is about 500 minutes in/out monthly. If you regularly go over 3000, or have other unusual calling patterns, it will draw the attention of VOIPo.

Go to https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/softphone for the credentials. It does not allow international calls (Canada is considered non-international.)

For softphone support, try the BYOD forum for more user to user support.
    http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
    Only the VOIPo ATA is supported by VOIPo staff.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    If you regularly go over 3000, or have other unusual calling patterns, it will draw the attention of VOIPo.
    Just for clarification.....the TOS was updated a few months ago and it is now 5000 minutes. This is more in line with some of their competitors......

http://www.voipo.com/tos.shtml
    Last edited by tritch; 03-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    Just for clarification.....the TOS was updated a few months ago and it is now 5000 minutes. This is more in line with some of their competitors......

http://www.voipo.com/tos.shtml
    Another note is that we do charge for overages now though like all competitors do. If someone exceeds 5,000, they will be billed t 1.9 cents for the excess minutes.

We were able to increase the cap from 3,000 to 5,000, but had to add in overage billing to protect ourselves.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Another note is that we do charge for overages now though like all competitors do. If someone exceeds 5,000, they will be billed t 1.9 cents for the excess minutes.

We were able to increase the cap from 3,000 to 5,000, but had to add in overage billing to protect ourselves.
    Tim, is that automatic, or do you still have the "soft cap" where you check it out first?

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    Tim, is that automatic, or do you still have the "soft cap" where you check it out first?
    It's still handled manually, but it's a hard limit. That's over 10x the average user so if someone is hitting it, they're definitely doing some pretty heavy usage.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

5000 minutes is over 83 hours of being on the phone. Compare this with approx. 160 hours a month at work if you work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. You'd have to be on the phone like it's your job to hit 5000 minutes a month. If you have multiple people using the line, or someone hitting the phones 3 hours a day (like a chatty teenager or a salesman) you could hit 5000 though.
    WisTex - Technology & Business Consulting
    FDIS Westheimer - Payment Processing & Merchant Services