Thread: AT&T (aka SBC) Wireless buying T-Mobile

Default AT&T (aka SBC) Wireless buying T-Mobile

Saw news that AT&T Wireless is buying T-Mobile.
    Will we benefit from increasingly fewer competitors?

I think Sprint is next, but haven't a clue as to who would buy them, considering the foreign companies like Vodaphone positioned in Verizon.

Default Re: AT&T (aka SBC) Wireless buying T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by stevech View Post
    Saw news that AT&T Wireless is buying T-Mobile.
    Will we benefit from increasingly fewer competitors?

I think Sprint is next, but haven't a clue as to who would buy them, considering the foreign companies like Vodaphone positioned in Verizon.
    Since I come from the telecom world from before the breakup, I see DéjÃ* vu all over again.
    Instead of one behemoth we now have 2, and they don't compete a lot in each others territory.
    AT&T is a virtual monopoly and the way the laws are going, they will soon have it all again. So long as there are no regulations, they and the others can do what they want. And what's really the amazing thing is that AT&T is probably the worst managed company in the world, but they sure know how to lobby.

AT&T internally is SBC's legacy culture.

I wish the US press would jump on the deregulation issues, in telecomm, natural gas, electricity. To say we all have been screwed, blued and tattooed, is an understatement of all times.

PS: you say "2". But in wireless in the US, we have VZW, AT&T and Sprint (excluding rural operators). Sprint is toast if their creditors ever call in their debt. Sprint bought time by acquiring Nextel and confusing the investment community. And on a smaller scale, again with Xohm and Clearwire partnering, to get the 2.5GHz band $1B of debt moving. VZW doesn't need/want Sprint's spectrum (1900MHz) nor base stations. So one wonders how long before 3 becomes 2.

Oh, and let me add to all this the gripe about ignoring anti-trust policy/law in Insurance and retail grocery.
    Last edited by stevech; 03-21-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Wow, what a shame, there really is no choice for cell phone provider.

How long before 3 become 1?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsean View Post
    Wow, what a shame, there really is no choice for cell phone provider.

How long before 3 become 1?
    For those of us who live in certain parts of the country, it has always just been 1