Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the BYOD device in parallel with existing VOIPo phone?

Default Is the BYOD device in parallel with existing VOIPo phone?

Hi there,

I have a basic question. If I configure a BYOD SIP softphone (or whatever), how does it really work? Is it basically "in parallel" with the phone that is connected to the VOIPo device? Assuming both devices are properly registered, should i be able to answer an incoming call and/or make a call from either phone?

thanks,

AndyN

Default Re: Is the BYOD device in parallel with existing VOIPo phone?

Yes.

And your main adapter has two lines already if that's all you need.
    On the main ATA you can have two simultaneous calls going.

The key difference is the BYOD, or soft phone does not allow international calling, and uses different credentials from the plug&play VOIPo ATA.

VOIPo doe not provide personnel to support BYOD, but there is a user forum here: http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Well I use to be able to pick up a incoming call with either the softphone or voipo phone with all incoming calls but now only able to answer with either on the first incoming call and all others with only the softphone and the voipo phone giving a busy signal if I pick it up first while the softphone continues to ring . If I close the softphone and reopen the same cycle, first incoming both can answer , anything after that only the softphone.

This is similar to what I am experiencing. I have an HT502. When I have it turned on.. I can only answer calls on the first ring. If I pick up after the first ring, then I get busy signal.

My gut feeling is that the VOIPo folks are not going to be very sympathetic to having both operational at the same time - there is potential for abuse if all works smoothly. Perhaps you can describe what you're trying to achieve and folks can point out a way to do it without having them in parallel.
    Russell

You can have a soft phone and your adapter running at the same time. I believe it is only one softphone device at a time though.

Quote Originally Posted by laris View Post
    You can have a soft phone and your adapter running at the same time. I believe it is only one softphone device at a time though.
    Is this true? I have my iOS device successfully configured as a VOIPo softphone, but I can't seem to get my wife's Android configured using the sipdroid app. I have my iOS device using port 5061 and tried to configure sipdriod to use 5062. But no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
    Is this true? I have my iOS device successfully configured as a VOIPo softphone, but I can't seem to get my wife's Android configured using the sipdroid app. I have my iOS device using port 5061 and tried to configure sipdriod to use 5062. But no dice.
    Are you connected through your home network when you try this?
    I Void Warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy114 View Post
    Hi there,

I have a basic question. If I configure a BYOD SIP softphone (or whatever), how does it really work? Is it basically "in parallel" with the phone that is connected to the VOIPo device? Assuming both devices are properly registered, should i be able to answer an incoming call and/or make a call from either phone?

thanks,

AndyN
    Both make and receive calls just fine. First one to answer gets the call.

I had VOIPo-issued and BYOD adapter on simultaneously (not intentionally - but it made a good test). The voice quality was terrible. Once I disconnected BYOD device - the problem went away. "BYOD" adapter is still on the network, and registered to a different provider; just disconnected from VOIPo