Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credentials require Voipo device online

Thumbs down Credentials require Voipo device online

Some of Voipo decisions leave me - how should I put it nicely - baffled. Here is the latest. I've had BYOD adapter (Obihai) for about a year and a half. I vaguely remember that when I first set it up (in the old portal), I probably had Voipo adapter plugged in.

Two days ago I didn't have Internet for several hours. Then I got it back, and life went on. What I didn't realize, however, that my adapter wasn't able to register with Voipo any more. When I went to the portal I got a message that "unfortunately we don't recognize Voipo adapter registered, and therefore we are unable to provide you with SIP credentials".

Tim, pray tell! what was the thinking behind this restriction? Surely, it doesn't increase security! And surely there is no technical reason to do so! Since I am not using Voipo adapter, it is safely stored until the day when I need to return it at the end of service... Why do I need to plug it in only to get SIP credentials?!

Default Re: Credentials require Voipo device online

You can get your sip credentials from your control panel https://secure.voipo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uf_shane View Post
    You can get your sip credentials from your control panel https://secure.voipo.com/
    I wouldn't want to embarrass you, and I would not respond, if you didn't have the title Super Moderator.

Let me repeat verbatim
    When I went to the portal I got a message that "unfortunately we don't recognize Voipo adapter registered, and therefore we are unable to provide you with SIP credentials"
    Again, it's not a technical question (certainly, not the question "what is the URL of the portal?"). Once I plugged Voipo adapter, I got SIP credentials fine. It's about being perplexed about such strange business decision...

Ahh I miss read it, I thought you were looking for your sip credentials... my mistake. Hopefully Brandon or Tim can Look into this and figure it out, you are right that does seem a little odd...

It should just be a one-time thing. Once you get the SIP credentials, then you can re-use them without the device being online.

This verifies for us that the adapter we sent to the credit card billing address (we don't ship to other addresses) was received and protects us against credit card fraud.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I have seen this happen plenty of times, only with Obi atas and only with Voipo. I am guessing the obi device causes a lockout or reset on the voipo side due to what it sent after the power outage. I still use my obi devices, but they are registered to my local freepbx server which has never caused the sip credentials to be reset in the portal.

As far as I know, it really should stay enabled once enabled and not "reset" or change. Are you guys saying it's changing? The ATA connection should only be needed for the very first time you enable it.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Yes, after a power outage(usually more than just a few seconds), when using a obihai ata, the sip credentials would no longer be available and you would need to plug the voipo supplied ata in to re-enable sip access.

This just happened to me last night. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't make a call as of last night and this morning when I went to my VoIPo control panel I noticed my credentials reset. I too am using an Obihai ATA. Specifically Here is the message I get in the BYOD area;

"Unfortunately we have not verified that your device is currently provisioned and registered to VOIPo's network, please ensure your device is currently connected and registered in order to retrieve your softphone SIP credentials!"

and in the devices area of the control panel;

"You do not currently have any devices registered to our servers!"

The weird thing is, in about 20 minutes I can go back to the control panel and everything will show fine. OBIHAI ATA will show up under devices and the BYOD area will show the credentials. As soon as I try to make a call on the phone the BYOD area and the Devices area of the control panel will show the errors above. Wait awhile and they'll go back. Been happening all morning.

I too was having the same problem, then everything started working normally at 11:15am EDT.
    Was there a some issue at voipo?