Thread: Using softphone app away from home?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using softphone app away from home?

I'm upgrading from a basic cellphone to an android smartphone. Can I install a softphone app, and use it to place calls over a wifi connection in an away-from-home location such as my daughter's house? If so, is there also any way to receive calls? Thanks.

Default Re: Using softphone app away from home?

That's an interesting question. It never occurred to me that I could install a SIP app on my iPhone and then receive calls to my Voipo number directly through that. I will have to try that.

I actually would expect that this works without problems (if you have the right SIP app that can be configured for Voipo). The softphone app on my Mac can be used for incoming and outgoing calls. Incoming calls ring simultaneously on the softphone and the cordless phone that is connected to the ATA. Why should this be different with an app on a different device in a different wifi net?

Are there people here who did this and can share their experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by wimax View Post
    That's an interesting question. It never occurred to me that I could install a SIP app on my iPhone and then receive calls to my Voipo number directly through that. I will have to try that.

I actually would expect that this works without problems (if you have the right SIP app that can be configured for Voipo). The softphone app on my Mac can be used for incoming and outgoing calls. Incoming calls ring simultaneously on the softphone and the cordless phone that is connected to the ATA. Why should this be different with an app on a different device in a different wifi net?

Are there people here who did this and can share their experiences?
    Yes, it is possible to use SIP applications on iPhones to use with VOIPO service. My preferred app is Bria, it is a paid app costs $7.99, but it is worthy. And yes, you can also receive calls on your iPhone with your VOIPO line.

Agree with JacobsLive. I've been using Bria on my iPhone for a month or so and it's great. I can even access my VoiceMail, just as if I were in my house, by just entering my passcode.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S. - S.M.P.T.E. - S.P.A.R.S.

I've been using CsipSimple but am having problems with the screen intermittently blacking out when using with a car dock. Has anyone had experience with Bria and a car dock? Also, has anyone tried using SMS with a SIP client? I'm hoping that once SMS is initiated on my phone that I can send texts using my Voipo number using the SIP client.

By the way, I can have CsipSimple (and I assume all clients) set to ring whenever my Voipo line rings. I can then answer whichever one I want first and the other stops ringing. I love this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMatt View Post
    I'm upgrading from a basic cellphone to an android smartphone. Can I install a softphone app, and use it to place calls over a wifi connection in an away-from-home location such as my daughter's house? If so, is there also any way to receive calls? Thanks.
    Most of the newgen Android phones has built in SIP phone. You will have to enter your sip credentials in the set up and you will be prompted each time when you make a call which line you need to use (SIP or Cell). Also you can select a default line so that it won't ask you each time. With my past experience with HTC One, yes it can make and receive calls with VOIPO SIP profile.

Also there are tons of paid and free apps in the android market. My preferred paid app is Bria. It works just great. So yes, you can make and receive calls with your VOIPO account on an Android phone. There is an option to turn incoming calls off as well.