Thread: At&t dsl

Default At&t dsl

I have AT&T as my home phone vendor and also DSL internet. My question is if I port my AT&T phone number over to a VOIPO device, will my DSL internet stay active or online? What have others experienced with AT&T porting with DSL on the same line?

I would think it would, but my history with AT&T tells me they will screw something up and kill my internet also. I hate AT&T they are the worst company to deal with for services. I have to deal with them for our work related services and they always mess things up or you just can't them to do something.

Default Re: At&t dsl

I am almost certain that AT&T requires a phone line to have dsl, but I could be wrong (this is me personally saying this and in no relation to voipo) I would call at&t and ask them if a phone line is required.

At a vacation home we also own I have U-Verse internet only with no phone line or TV services. They ran fiber into the house, but my current home has just copper wires running into it with DSL running over the line with basic phone service. Would like to get rid of the AT&T basic line and go with the VOIPO using my current internet.

Just curious what others have experienced with AT&T when porting just their old number over, but keeping AT&T as their internet provider.

You can port your AT&T number to VOIPO and keep your DSL line active. I guess it is called "dry loop" services (DSL without Voice line), yet they will issue a local number to your account after the current number ported over, but without any voice service.

As you speculated yes, AT&T can screw things around. So, I would suggest transfer your existing number to VOIPO first. Once the number is ported over, call AT&T and tell them you need just the DSL connection.

However, with my personal experience and my friends' experience, voip phones won't give 100% quality on DSL service. I am assuming that your upload speed limit is 768kbps and in reality you get less than what they offer. Theoretically, voip lines will work over a 128/256kbps line, but practically you will face call quality issues. Again, it depends on locations, I also seen some places they working just fine with dry loop DSL lines. I would suggest to get Cable internet internet, if the service is available in your area. It may cost pretty much same as a dry loop DSL line with better upload speed.

If you port away the number that your DSL service is attached to, the DSL service will be canceled.

So the best procedure is to order "dry loop" DSL service in advance. This is DSL service that is not bundled with a phone number.

If possible, I'd have it setup on an entirely new billing account, just to be safe. Or at least try to make it clear that you will port the number out and do not want to close the dry loop DSL.

Once that is setup, have the DSL service removed from the number you intend to port.

Then you can freely port the number without any DSL downtime... theoretically... losing providers have a nasty habit of mucking things up.

Another option is to move to a fiber or cable internet provider, if available. Once installed, you can port your number and let the DSL go away.

Good luck.