Thread: How to get HT-701 ATA under $10

Default How to get HT-701 ATA under $10

For all you resellers that would like to maximize your profits, there is a way to get your hands on the Grandstream HT-701 for less than $10 and no shipping costs. All you have to do is walk into your local Walmart store and buy a Basic Talk VoIP phone system for $9.88 and take it home, then power it up and put a needle into the reset hole for about 7 seconds to reset the ata to factory default. Then, simply provision it with Voipo.

You could put a simple label over the Basic Talk logo, with a label maker. Do not use transparent labels obviously. Black would be best. Just thought I would share this with all my fellow resellers.
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

Default Re: How to get HT-701 ATA under $10

Anything that is bad for Walmart sounds good to me.

Does anyone know how to unlock the Basic Talk HT-701 from Walmart? Was reading they have customized firmware on it.

i thought you said in the first post it was unlocked

Any word on this?

Do the Walmart ata's have a custom firmware? Or can they be reset to factory defaults as usual?

If you have one, and want to confirm, just do a factory reset using the button on the back.

Then try to logon using admin password, "admin".

If you get in, we're good, but go ahead and also check the following fields on the Advanced Settings page...

"Firmware Server Path"
    "Config Server Path"

They should both point to a grandstream address, not some kind of walmart or basic talk address.

Even if grandstream is provisioning the device for basic talk, you can easily defeat this by changing the config server path, so long as you can access the device as admin.

Just need someone who has one of these in their possession to verify that they can get in as admin after a reset.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
    Any word on this?

Do the Walmart ata's have a custom firmware? Or can they be reset to factory defaults as usual?

If you have one, and want to confirm, just do a factory reset using the button on the back.

Then try to logon using admin password, "admin".

If you get in, we're good, but go ahead and also check the following fields on the Advanced Settings page...

"Firmware Server Path"
    "Config Server Path"

They should both point to a grandstream address, not some kind of walmart or basic talk address.

Even if grandstream is provisioning the device for basic talk, you can easily defeat this by changing the config server path, so long as you can access the device as admin.

Just need someone who has one of these in their possession to verify that they can get in as admin after a reset.

Thanks!
    Greenlantern, the basic talk ht-701's are locked. Even after a factory reset, you still cannot get in. I'm reading up on this, and it appears they have custom firmware in place.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsohot View Post
    Greenlantern, the basic talk ht-701's are locked. Even after a factory reset, you still cannot get in. I'm reading up on this, and it appears they have custom firmware in place.
    Too bad. They may use a single, default admin password on all of them, or they may be randomized. But if you get in, you should be able to flash the firmware back to normal.

Keep us posted if you find a way to unlock it.