Thread: why no call forward on busy?

Default why no call forward on busy?

is there any reason why there isn't a "call forward on busy" feature available on voipo?

A version limited to voipo-run numbers as the destination would work for me.

Background:

we have the stock voipo cloned line setup, where both line 1 and line 2 ring simultaneously and the call goes to the line that picks up first.

Unfortunately, our current two-line phone goes deaf & silent when the 2nd line keeps ringing while the 1st line is picked up -- and that seems to happen most of the time when someone calls our number.

It would work better for me if we could set things up so that, if line 1 isn't in use, only line 1 rings; line 2 would only ring if line 1 was busy.

Default Re: why no call forward on busy?

I'll second that motion!

The lack of rudimentary "conditional call forwarding" features like CF on busy or no answer conditions is a terrible omission from most VoIPo service, offerings.

I don't know if it is due to regulatory strategy, fraud concerns, increased difficulty to support, a desire to lock in the user, lack of sophistication on the part of infrastructure vendors, or what.

Regardless of the reason for the omission, I hope VoIPo leads the way out of the dark ages in this area. It would be a great strategic differentiator.

ditto, I asked for this a while back as well.

On the same concept..... Voicemail has the ability to record 9 greetings, but there doesn't seem to be a way to automatically assign a greeting, as with most other systems. Specifically greeting 1 on no answer; greeting 2 on line busy; perhaps even greeting 3 on system problem (no connection to SIP server).

This is standard on almost all other services.

Unfortunately, there's some functionality that we have to limit because of our pricepoint. If we add a lot of enterprise functionality, we'll see more users trying to use the service with enterprise levels of minute usage while still paying $6.21/mo.

Possible Solutions:

1) We have to be particularly careful with anything that forwards externally or rings multiple numbers because both incoming calls and outgoing calls cost money and when a call is forwarded, we're effectively paying for it twice (doubling the cost). So if someone forwards their calls and they get an incoming call for 15 minutes we end up paying for 15 minutes of incoming usage and 15 minutes of outgoing usage for the forwarding leg making that 15 minute call billable to VOIPo for 30 minutes.

2) We are considering adding rollover that would allow you to rollover to numbers on the VOIPo network only because that would limit our exposure since the outgoing part would be free for us (staying on our network) while still giving you guys the ability to rollover to multiple lines on a single number (you'd just get multiple VOIPo accounts).

We're also considering launching an enterprise version at a higher pricepoint that includes external rollover and more robust enterprise features that we just can't offer at the $6.21 pricepoint due to the fact that the users of those features would have substantially higher usage than the average consumer or single line business.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 07-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Please add the internal rollover as it would solve a number of issues for myself and others here. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    We're also considering launching an enterprise version at a higher pricepoint that includes external rollover and more robust enterprise features that we just can't offer at the $6.21 pricepoint due to the fact that the users of those features would have substantially higher usage than the average consumer or single line business.
    I'd be interested in hearing more about this, and the features you envision this would include

Any update on if VOIPO will be adding rollover between port 1 and 2 on the adapter instead of ringing both at the same time? It would be a great addition to the service and solve the double ringing issue for those using two line phones.

Why not simply offer Call Forward on Busy/No Answer as an extra service (like a virtual line or FAX number)? Those who want it can pay for it. Charge a reasonable amount (say, $4 to $6 a month). Those who want it could then buy it, and it would still be cheaper than Vonage.

Quote Originally Posted by rcboats24 View Post
    Any update on if VOIPO will be adding rollover between port 1 and 2 on the adapter instead of ringing both at the same time? It would be a great addition to the service and solve the double ringing issue for those using two line phones.
    In the absence of any documentation on the Grandstream HT-502, I would assume this is something that needs to be configured within your ATA. It's my understanding that ATA's have web interfaces similar to ethernet routers for configuration purposes as well as a verbal touch-tone menu system for configuration via telephone keypad. Early on, I had a glitch with call waiting behaving more like 3-way calling (the caller on hold could listen in on, and probably participate in, a second incoming call) which was solved by making a configuration change within the ATA. I submitted a ticket regarding this issue and was given instructions to reconfigure the ATA via my telephone keypad. If you are using the ATA hardware provided by VOIPo, I would assume they can remotely access your ATA's web interface, since under the terms of service, VOIPo still owns the hardware they provided when your account was established.