Thread: No dial tone every few weeks with VOIPO

Default No dial tone every few weeks with VOIPo

Almost two years ago, I switched to VOIPo from our local ISP.

Every few weeks, we notice that we can't make a call because there isn't a dial tone. All we have to do to solve this issue is to press the hangup button on our cordless phone a couple of times and everything is good again.

During one of these "down" times, we also can't receive any calls. The calls will go to our VOIPo voice mail box instead of ringing our phone or going to the our answering machine (when we aren't home).

I've added port forwarding within my router last year to try and solve the issue, but like clock work, the issue seems to come back every few weeks.

Has anyone seen such an issue before? Is it possible its my actual cordless phone system not hanging up a previous call correctly (it is a newer AT&T phone that I had with my previous ISP that gave me no issues on their system).

Overall, I'm happy with the VOIPo service. Call quality is good and price is extremely fair, but this constant issue is making me consider not renewing my account when it comes due in a couple of months.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

LD
    Last edited by LazyDog; 02-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: No dial tone every few weeks with VOIPo

When it happens what do the lights look like on your ATA? If you un-plug the phone from the ATA do the lights change?

You need to rule out your phone equipment one piece at a time.

My guess is that you could have a firewall or router device that is taking down connections and they get renewed when you push buttons. What kind of internet connection do you have? What is your setup? modem? router? ect...
    I Void Warranties.

Default Re: No dial tone every few weeks with VOIPO

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to double check the lights on the unit the next time it happens, but I don't think they change from how they normally look (solid lights on power and Internet, mostly solid on link, and steady slow blinking of the phone led). By the way, I have the Grandstream HT701 ATA unit.

I have tried many different settings within my router over the past year, but so far I haven't come across any settings that stop my phone from loosing it's connection every few weeks or so. I always found it strange that I can get the phone back online by just pressing the "off" button on the phone itself.

My ISP is Comcast and I don't usually have any issues with other wired and wireless devices on my network.

LD
    Last edited by LazyDog; 02-22-2014 at 11:43 PM.

So I purchased a different cordless phone system (Panasonic) to test the issue I am having.

Today there was a message on the Panasonic answering machine, but when I picked up the phone to make a call, there was no dial tone. I pressed the "Off" button a couple of times and then pressed the "Talk" button and the dial tone was back. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the phone (unless both the AT&T and Panasonic phones have the same flaw).

So the problem almost needs to be somewhere between the Grandstream unit and my network that leaves my phone offline (maybe after certain calls come in or long messages are left on our answering machine?). We would rather use a local answering machine because we have multiple people who live in the house and it's easier than to have multiple check emails for messages.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, the lights on the Grandstream are always doing the same thing...it doesn't matter if the phone has a dial tone or not (solid lights on power and Internet, mostly solid on link, and blinking of the phone led).

Speaking of those LED lights...How is the phone light LED supposed to be?

With the phone is not in use, the phone LED is a constant slow blinking. When the phone is in use, it's a slightly quicker blinking light.

I use a TP Link Router with DD-WRT firmware. I've made quite a few changes to the router settings over the year, but haven't found the needed settings to keep this issue from happening (if it is a problem with the settings and not a problem with the unit/service).

Any other thoughts or comments on the LED lights of the ATA?

I'd rather not get rid of VOIPo, but think I will have to if I can't solve the issue.

Thanks!

LD
    Last edited by LazyDog; 02-24-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Phone LED, power LED and INTERNET LED should all be solid if phone not in use UNLESS you have a voicemail waiting. When I have voicemail waiting (with the usual stutter-dial-tone) I notice the phone LED will slowly blink.

Thank you for the response..... I never knew the blinking lights meant there were messages waiting (I never worried about it since I had the wav files sent to me anyway). So it doesn't sound like the blinking phone LED light gives me any clues or has anything to do with my current phone going offline.

LD
    Last edited by LazyDog; 02-24-2014 at 10:39 PM.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm referencing the question to the quote below. Do you press the talk button before you attempt to place a call?

Today there was a message on the Panasonic answering machine, but when I picked up the phone to make a call, there was no dial tone. I pressed the "Off" button a couple of times and then pressed the "Talk" button and the dial tone was back. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with the phone (unless both the AT&T and Panasonic phones have the same flaw).

Can you describe your router equipment? Modem, Gateway, Router, ect...

Do you have your ATA connected to house wiring at all?

how many actual phones?
    I Void Warranties.

Just a heads up on this.... The support staff at VOIPo flashed a new firmware to my ATA unit and I haven't had any issues yet, but it's only been a few days. They confirmed my router setup was correct. If the problem persists, then I might try setting up a DMZ for this ATA unit.

I don't have any other connection issues with any other equipment at my house. I use a tplink router running DD-WRT off of a Motorola cable modem. Everything has been rock solid other than the sporadic issues with the phone connection.

Thanks for the comments.

LD